Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15r

Options
  • 06-12-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I need a new laptop and am thinking of getting a Dell Inspiron 15r. Does anyone have the new 15r and if so would you recommend it?

If I was to buy the 15r would I be better off getting the Core i3 processor with 6GB RAM or the Core i5 with 4GB RAM?

Cheers,
    Eoin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

What are the prices for each? Can you post specs for each one?

RAM is usually fairly easy to upgrade, personally I'd get the more powerful processor and upgrade the memory later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saoleoin

You can see all models here: http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15r-5520/fs

I'm considering either the 2nd or 5th model.

Core i3-3110M - passmark score: 2868

Core i5-3210M - passmark score: 3897

The i5 trounces the i3 in any case.

The 2nd one offers less CPU power but more storage, and the last one offers more CPU and less storage.

Unless you're carting around loads of stuff with you I'd say get the last one and upgrade the memory later.

Yes, I think that's the right choice alright.

Any idea how much it is to add 2GB of extra RAM in a computer shop? €70/€80?

saoleoin wrote: »
    Yes, I think that's the right choice alright.

Any idea how much it is to add 2GB of extra RAM in a computer shop? €70/€80?

More often than not it's under a hatch at the underside of the laptop, you could buy some memory at crucial.eu and do it yourself.

Have a look at the owner's manual (p 19) - http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/ie/en/iedhs1/Product/inspiron-15r-5520

• Advertisement

Thank you, you've been most helpful.

Advertisement