Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stone Roses' Second Coming Is Underrated?

Options
  • 06-12-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Listening to it quite often and honestly think its a great album.

John Squire's guitar on tracks like Good Times and Driving South are better imo than most on the first album.

The singles aren't all that good, which is why when I saw them this summer were the only songs they didn't need to play, but the rest is enjoyable.

Anyone else like this album?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Not as good as the debut but it has some excellent music on it.

Much better than some of the music press would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I used to think this was the case that it was underated but after a few years later I came to the opinion that its a peice of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's good, but some of the songs could do with a bit of editing, and it has Ten Story Love Song on it, which is complete dogsh1t.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

it's good, but some of the songs could do with a bit of editing, and it has Ten Story Love Song on it, which is complete dogsh1t.

But they built that dream for you.... (out of cheesy cheesy lyrics)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think it's a great album and definitely underrated. It has some great songs like Tears, Tightrope, Good Times and How Do You Sleep?. Although it also has some duds like Straight To The Man, Driving South and Daybreak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Love Spreads is still being used as a sting/theme on radio shows to this day.

Head it this afternoon advertising Newstalk's Heineken Cup coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Love the opening track Breaking Into Heaven, the rest of it varies between brilliance (Tightrope, Ten Storey Love Song) and absolute garbage (Begging You)

That hidden track (track 90) sounds like a good laugh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Its good, but the weight of expectation on it in 1994 was ridiculous (I remember). Don't forget, by then there had been two shifts in music since their debut (grunge and Britpop), so what were they going to do? They couldn't compete. And the world was most definitely not waiting for a bluesy rock album.

I do love some of it, it probably would've been better if the tracks were edited to drop Driving South, Good Times, etc.

However, that album always makes me think of Christmas (cos it came out close to Christmas 1994) so it generally makes me happy.

What excites me now is the prospect of a new album in 2013; especially as they said they were making "psychedelic pop songs".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It is one of the few albums I can listen to from start to finish on a regular basis. I often do this when driving.

I personally think it is a better album than the first - that doesn't I suppose, make it underrated though.

This was the first Stone Roses album I listened to so perhaps that may be why I prefer this album. There are some cracking tunes on it. It was a pitty they didn't do more of them on the live shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

I'd say it is underrated but simply because it was unexpected. Its a completely different style to the debut album which was probably a shock when people were expecting more tunes like 'made of stone' 'waterfall' ' mersey paradise' and ' so young'.

I dont think there are any tracks on the second coming that compare to any from the 1st album. My opinion is that its 50/50 both good and sh!t at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I love it, simply if just for the fact that its so different to the first one. If that was their debut, the music press would have been all over it, but they were expecting The Stone Roses Mk Two so didn't like it. Always good to see a band freshen up their sound and not play it safe (Coldplay, I'm looking at you).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I personally loved that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I always thought it was very underrated. But listening to it now, I don't think it's great. Still a very good album, but when I'm putting music onto my phone/mp3 player, I never copy second coming across anymore.
    Used to love 10 story lovesong, but I'm with agree with ghostdancer now on it!

Advertisement