Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 06-12-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Dont want to resurrect any old threads but I seem to remember hearing quite a few claims for what was to happen in 2012.
    Its not over yet I know.
    Have we already gone past the due date for the end of the world or is that still coming within the next few weeks.
    Maybe someone has come up with a new interpretation on that theory.
    So what do you think happened in 2012.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The Mayan calender ends this year, so apparently the world is ending on Dec 22nd.

BS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Get ready for countdown so.
    Any tips on how to handle this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ambersky wrote: »

Handle what situation?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Although some of the prophecies can be interpreted differently, the three Mayan experts completely agreed that the Mayan calendar end date does not predict the destruction of the planet and the end of the world.
    Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/business/press-releases/article/Mayan-Culture-Experts-Discuss-the-Mayan-Calendar-4095400.php#ixzz2EIFDfzco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Dont want to resurrect any old threads
    Wrong. If you didn't you simply wouldn't.
    Have we already gone past the due date for the end of the world or is that still coming within the next few weeks.
    Maybe someone has come up with a new interpretation on that theory.
    ElleEm wrote: »
    The Mayan calender ends this year, so apparently the world is ending on Dec 22nd.

BS!
    Have you come across a single poster on boards.ie who believes the world will end in 2012?
    I don't personally know anyone who thinks it will, I haven't seen any tv personality who thinks it will, but more than this I've seen this subject come up countless times on boards over the last few months, i'm sure you have too, but i'm yet to come across a single poster who honestly thinks the world is ending this year. I've little douth that out of 7 billion people you'll have some who think it will, just as you'll also find some who believe that little green men were responsible for 9/11. I don't understand how this gets such traction.
    Sounds like you've been waiting all year long for 2013 so you get to say "told you", problem is, you've nobody to say it to.

• Advertisement

My goodness I didnt realise feelings would run so high. The fact that we are nearing the end of 2012 only occured to me the other day. So we havent reached the due date for what some people think is the end of the world. I havent obviously been following the thing closely enough, or been irritated by it enough to know that. We will just have to wait and see on that one.wont we.
    Still I seem to remember in those old and now dead threads that Some people seemed to feel it was goimg to be a special year in some way so as I asked earlier what do you think happened in 2012.
    Or is it still too early to say.

My goodness I didnt realise feelings would run so high..
    Amber sky, in relation to "something happening in 2012" i'm indifferent
    So we havent reached the due date for what some people think is the end of the world.
    But when i comes to this kinda stuff i'm asking who are these "some people"? Is there anyone ? maybe there are only people who think there are people who think the world will end in 2012.
    I havent obviously been following the thing closely enough, or been irritated by it enough to know that..
    I'd imagine you haven't because there isn't anything to follow.
    I asked earlier what do you think happened in 2012.
    No, it's not too early to say, the main thing that happened in relation to the mayan calendar in 2012 was this.
    Some people thought that some people thought that world was gonna end.

Ok! lets look at it this way.
    This thread could go the rounds with, I said -You said, and accusations of non intent or ill intent.

OR

We could look at it as an opportunity to look back at 2012
    be it from the perspective that, Yay! we are not dead, yet, which isnt bad in itself.
    We could also choose to take the opportunity of looking at what wonderful or transforming things did happen in 2012.
    This is an interesting example of how humans choose to look at things, a kind of spiritual exercise in itself.
    It is is a concrete example of a situation where we can create our own reality, it can go whatever way you want.

So lets see what happens.
    Opportunity taken or not.

Still I seem to remember in those old and now dead threads that Some people seemed to feel it was goimg to be a special year in some way so as I asked earlier what do you think happened in 2012.

Just to be clear, these questions also interest me. As i know very little about this aspect of spirituality I've nothing to add to the thread myself i'm just interested in what people have to say. Over the last year or so every now and again whether it be on the radio, tv or here I hear something about the significance of 2012 in relation to spirituality. While I never fully get the jest of the story it is always a very positive one, like a new beginning or a falling away of old ways of living.
    A bit more open mindedness thats all.

Although good old Wikipedia gets dismissed a lot it can often be a good source of collected information and links about subjects just as it is on the subject of 2012.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

There have been quite a few theories about 2012 knocking about particularly on the internet and I think some people were uneasy or a bit anxious in case the doomsday prophecies were correct. Other theories focused on the transformative possibilities of 2012.
    The link above will give more information about worldwide public reaction which varies individually and from country to country.
    I think in the face of such anxiety people have different reactions some people go into it, some ignore it and some dismiss it with counter arguments and theories.
    Laughter is a perfectly legitimate reaction to founded and unfounded anxiety but I suppose for those who take it seriously it is also true that no one wants to feel laughed at. Each to their own I suppose.

My own reaction was "Not another doomsday prophecy" but as I recognize I dont know everything. Anyway there is nothing I could do about it if it was the end of the world, although there again there are those who would disagree.
    I would prefer to live with the attitude of taking life as it comes each and every day, knowing that this life will end some day and being prepared to let even life itself eventually go.
    Actually as it turned out 2012 was personally very transformative for me and I was wondering how others thought it turned out for them or how they thought it turned out in national or world trends and events.

• Advertisement

Of course there will be anxiety when you have so much hype.

Seeing as nobody or at least nobody I know of, is making a doomsday prophecy, you have to wounder who is creating all the hype thats causing the anxiety.

Is it those claiming to have heard doomsday prophecies who can't back up where they heard the prohecy!

When you had your "not another doomsday prophecy" reaction, who was it that made the prophecy?

I had my "not another doomsday prophecy reaction" while a friend of mine was looking up some background information online on Guatemala. She put Mayan culture into Google and the prediction that the end of the Mayan calendar would also be the end of the world came up. But the phenomenon that has become 2012 is not just about one prophecy, people seem to have been building on it and adding one thing to another.

Today as I Google 2012 I get 25,270,000,000 results and they begin with the Wikipedia page on 2012 I have linked to previously.
    If you are looking for more information on the origins of the various ideas and prophecies there are several paragraphs there giving links to publications and discussions on how the theories started, who has what to say about it and a bit about what is happening now.
    I haven't the energy to go cutting and pasting all the info.

It was interesting to me that NASA saw fit to put up a website called
    Beyond 2012 - Why the world wont end
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html#mayans

They NASA say
    "Ask an Astrobiologist", a NASA public outreach website, has received over 5000 questions from the public on the subject since 2007 before they decided to put up an information page about it on their website.

Op you still haven't named who made the doomsday prophecy!

My understanding of the 2012 Phenomenon is that you can divide it into two distinct sides the positive and negative. It is the negative side that really makes the 2012 phenomenon so massive.
    The positive
    The positive side which is all about positive transformation and new beginings, could also be called the spiritual side as the groups or individuals who have positive beliefs about 2012 mainly come under the term spiritual. On this side of the phenomenon you have actual people with actual views about the matter.

The Negative
    This is about the world coming to an end on 21/12/2012.
    Not sure how it all started, it's possible a few internet hoaxes about the end of the mayan calendar being the end of the world sparked it off. Here, you have no actual group or influential person pushing the view but it seems to be more about the disbelief of the view that is taking up the major part of the 2012 phenomenon.
    It's hard to know how the whole thing grew so massive but i've got an idea that it is a combination of social media and people's need to feel superior by being right about a matter, that played a major role. It doesn't matter that there isn't any group calling december 2012 the end, once you have enough people saying "it isn't the end" it'll feed the anxiety which in turn is keeping the whole thing going.
    This thread which the op didn't want to start but started anyways, is an excellent example of the negative side of the 2012 phenomenon.

Red 21 if you read any of the links I put up you will find loads of information on how what you are calling the negative part started, including books articles theories etc. There are individual authors putting forward their views from what they see as a spiritual perspective, public figures calling for caution and even a spiritual leader putting forward the idea of a suicide pact.It's all there in those articles or in the links. I am not here to prove to anyone that such things are happening or to defend it if you are interested you will read about it.
    However you do not seem to be actually interested in an answer to your question. You seem to be constantly interested in proving a point.
    Earlier I suggested we not engage in an I said you said and accusations of non intent or ill intent and instead invited anyone to post about how they thought 2012 had gone for them personally or on a national or international level.
    Again it is a case of creating what we want here. People are free if they wish to discuss the positive or negativeor transformative events of 2012.

Red 21 if you read any of the links I put up you will find loads of information on how what you are calling the negative part started, including books articles theories etc..
    We can only speculate as to how it started, i'm not talking about how it started, i'm talking about actual, how it is right now, what we see in front of us.
    Earlier I suggested we not engage in an I said you said and accusations of non intent or ill intent and instead invited anyone to post about how they thought 2012 had gone for them personally or on a national or international level.
    Again it is a case of creating what we want here. People are free if they wish to discuss the positive or transformative events of 2012.
    You keep saying this, but then you keep making suggestions or insinuations that they're are people out there somewhere who are making doomsday prophecies, yet you cannot names those people.
    Why not just simply ask the question you say you're interested in and leave the "doomsday prophecies" out of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*mod hat on*

Ambersky and Red21, Ill be honest. I have a headache today, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what you guys arguing about. So Ill just put it like this: Discuss 2012 all you like. The whys, the wherefores, whether we are all GONNA DIE on the 21st or whether this is the dawn of the age of aquarius. It doesnt matter who started the phenomenon. It doesnt matter what t'internet believes. I suggest you just offer your own thoughts or observations, or articles of interest, without harrassing each other. In the meantime Im off to take a paracetamol.

Phew!
    I dont think 2012 is in general any more important than any other year.
    As I have said it was transformative for me personally but that is just because important life events happened to occur this year.
    So what do others think.
    Did doomsday prophecies turn out right in a way, will many of us be glad to see the back of it.
    Or is there worse to come.
    Did it turn out positively transformative as others say. Or is it just another year

Advertisement