Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suomi satellite pictures Earth in black

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

What a great set of pics of the waste of resources from light pollution :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Italy and the Netherlands are really lit up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Have you seen the hi-res one?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

You can clearly see why people say Egypt is the Nile and the Nile is Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Aliens will have no problem noticing the earth should they happen to visit the neighbourhood.:D

its easy to spot north korea and south korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I have the older version of thia picture. Interesting to see where there were once light and now there are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

harry21 wrote: »
    I have the older version of thia picture. Interesting to see where there were once light and now there are not?

Japan with the tsunami hitting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Italy and the Netherlands are really lit up !

I think there is more of Belgium lit up there there than The Netherlands.

Not surprising as Belguim is the only country in the EU (apart from Luxembourg) to provide public lighting on all motorways and main roads.

Its the subject of ongoing debate there both on cost and environment grounds. This report is nearly 18 months old but to the best of my knowledge all the lights are still switched on every evening.

The image also hides a vast amount of light due cloud cover over England streching down over North West France. The South East and the conurbations of the North West of England are also particularly well lit as the artificially enhanced image below illustrates.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRewqMYesMqZgW6_DYEeeJ9uY1W_rJzxyMqnpDjd2yT-fvP-o2_

http://www.oarval.org/UE-LP.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

irishgeo wrote: »
    Japan with the tsunami hitting.

It seems to be fairly widespread. I think this version was taken later in the night, when many lights would have been turn off.

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

harry21 wrote: »
    It seems to be fairly widespread. I think this version was taken later in the night, when many lights would have been turn off.

What do people think?
    I think....

... its always later somewhere. Think about it?

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement