Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to all bands.

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Came across this yesterday, just wanted to give you all a heads up! Might want to invest in a few baseball bats!:D

WARNING!!!
    All bands VERY VIGILANT after showcase gigs or on the way home from weddings. We have received word that bands are being targeted for cash and gear. A band (which we will not name) had it's van rammed from behind at 90mph. by an organized gang driving two vehicles. Luckily they got away after being followed for five or so miles! They may have been aware that the band were carrying show case deposits or they may have just been targeting the equipment.
    It was suggested by the Gardai that they may have intended the band to stop (falsely believing they had been hit by accident) and then the gang would hijack the vehicle and contents. It was also suggested that a gang operating this type of operation would not be unarmed!

It may have been a completely random attack but nevertheless we are putting you all in the know.

PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES IN THE MUSIC FRATERNITY.

Be vigilant leaving venues and to use alternate routes home from showcases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Heard this, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Thanks for the heads up. It seems to that nothing or no one is safe. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Any particular parts of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

Dont know to be honest with you. Its just somthing to be aware of. Desperados out there stop at nothing to get money now, so best off not stop if you see a car off road or anything suspect unless your a bunch of hardy mo fo's!

davylee wrote: »
    Any particular parts of the country?

I'm sure these people will go wherever they think they can get money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

i always carry the fat end of a snooker cue around, ya never know wen could need it. cops saw it couple of times and weren't best pleased but i said it was for tapping lead in work and they can't do much then. thanks for the heads up op

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

This sounds like the plot to a terrible made for tv movie

This sounds like the plot to a terrible made for tv movie

Except this is not just something "that you only see on T.V."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Where did you find this info?

It sounds like facebook spam.

Any links to a media report on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

tuxy wrote: »
    Where did you find this info?

It sounds like facebook spam.

Any links to a media report on this?
    Itd be a great concept album .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Chain letter...

This information was supplied by two very reliable sources as the band in question did not wish to be named but guys if ye don't want to take the extra precaution or be thankful that someone went to the bother of letting you know about a potential threat to your pockets by all means please choose to ignore the information.

So you believe a van was rammed at 145 km/h but managed to get away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

mel1 wrote: »
    This information was supplied by two very reliable sources as the band in question did not wish to be named but guys if ye don't want to take the extra precaution or be thankful that someone went to the bother of letting you know about a potential threat to your pockets by all means please choose to ignore the information.

ALL CAPS and the exclamation marks says hoax to me. Were your sources in the van when it happened? Or did they hear it off someone else? Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

But you're right in saying bands should be vigilant. Always have someone keep an eye on the gear when you're unloading.

Why do people make them chain letter things ?
    Mad isnt it ?
    Whats to be acieved ? Wheres the motive ?
    Never understood them .

Why do people usually make viruses for PCs?
    Because they can.
    They probably get a kick out of seeing how far the fake message will spread.
    On facebook people seem to believe anything, so even the really absurd ones can go on for ages.

Yeah but why ? I reckon its a sign of mental instability . Not the people that pass them on but the ones that make them . If I ever find meself making one of them Ill sign meself in .

Why do people write graffiti in the jacks?

Why do people write graffiti in the jacks?
    For the next fella to read . Thats why they dont need to leave magazines in public toilets . I like to read thought provoking graffiti in toilets .
    If a tree falls in the woods type of stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

I dont know if the story is true or a hoax as it seems very far fetched but either way you have to laugh at the target demographic of the gang in question "Wedding bands"....I mean come on if you are going to run an operation with two cars that involves ramming a vehicle at 90km risking muitable casualties for the sake of stealing a few hundred quid and a strat!, sure that wouldnt even cover the damage to your car....smells like brown to me

• Advertisement

Haha pass this on to ten people or your cat will die .

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Sorry lads, have to chime in here. I heard this from 3 reliable sources myself and was sent an email from weddingsonline.ie giving the name of the band who are listed as a supplier on the site. OP has said they didn't want band name repeated so I won't repeat name either.
    The band in question are a thoroughly professional outfit and when they do have Showcases for weddings, they would be leaving with upward of 10 to 15 deposits from couples. Thats about €5000-7500. Which is NOT to be considered a "bit of cash". Nor is the value of PA, lighting, gear, etc to be sneered at either!!!
    I know there will always be cynics who don't believe a word on the internet but musicians-please don't take this lightly. It DID happen, it was a terrible experience for the band members and it could well happen again so do be vigilant.

Terrible as it may sound, as a 23 year old female driving home late at night alone through towns and cities, I do find it comforting that I carry a pen knife in my glove compartment... You never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I can also vouch for the validity of the original posting, having played as support to the individuals in question on the night. Its not a chain mail, Its not a fake message. The event actually took place on the way home from a Dublin venue before Christmas.
    You can choose to believe it or not, as the case may be.

Were there any survivors after the van was rammed at 145 kmph?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Were there any survivors after the van was rammed at 145 kmph?
    I see we have Thomas the Apostle contributing to the thread :)

In answer to your query there were survivors to the attempted ramming.

As I've said you can choose to believe or not to believe. And I'm not asking you to forward it anywhere, you wont get rich if you forward this to 30 billion and 3 people in the next half an hour.

Equally you wont find the story appearing on Snopes.com as a fraud. :rolleyes:

Its a message for musicians to be vigilant and there's nothing wrong with that. Or maybe we'll spend the next 100 posts arguing over the validity of the speed of ramming a car at 145 km/h. Actually you can, I wont be.

Dont know why people are being so sarcastic. It's a simple harmless warning, which people can accept or reject as they see fit. :confused:

Lads, can we stop the bickering? It's a warning. We should all be careful out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I know of the band and was forwarded on the message on email as were thousands of people.. I'm sure that something did happen along the lines of what was described, but I dont think the message was helped by the exaggeration of the speed of the van.. This takes from the message, which is a valid one.. that we should all be careful driving back from gigs.... (inasmuch as it is possible to affect circumstances if you are targeted by an armed gang wanting to take your stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭miniroar

Say the delivery driver to xmusic is sh1ttin himself! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Or maybe we'll spend the next 100 posts arguing over the validity of the speed of ramming a car at 145 km/h. Actually you can, I wont be.

Because you know it's bs.

If it happened, it didn't happen as it was described in the OP. And I'll be quite honest, I have a verrrrry hard time believing it.

Advertisement