Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early maternity leave, doctor won't sign the benefit form until 24 weeks

Options
  • 06-12-2012 9:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

I planned to take early maternity leave, I went to doctor to ask him sign his part in maternity leave benefit application, as my company HR asked me to apply maternity leave as early as possible, but doctor said he could only sign it when my 24 weeks pregnancy is coming (I am only 16 weeks now), I went to social welfare, they said doctor may or may not sign it, they seemed not quite sure. But obviously my doctor said no, for my case, I checked citizeninfo website, it mentioned the application time as this '...You should apply for the payment 6 weeks before you intend to go on maternity leave...' It also mentioned "At least 2 weeks and not more than 16 weeks leave must be taken before the end of the week in which your baby is due."

I wonder if I have to wait until 24 weeks pregancy is coming? Is there anyway I can get application submitted earlier, as my company needs the figure to deduct from my company maternity leave benefit

Anyone knows about the procedures more, can you please drop me some advices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

as far as i know the company wont be able to know what to deduct until you get an answer from the social welfare department as to the decision of what you will get on your leave....they don't handle the cases as the come in the mail either, they handle them based on the dates that your leave starts. I wasn't given my decision until about a week and a half before my leave started! I notified my company as soon as i got the letter in the mail and it was more than enough time for them.

You can send off your forms to your employer now for them to fill in their part. My companies HR is in the UK so what i did (around the time you are now) was fill in as much information as I could on my side, photocopied everything, sent it off to my HR. Waited until it came back (nearly 10 weeks later! :mad:) and then took it to my doctor. between 24 weeks and when you are meant to start leave (even if its a little earlier at 35 weeks or something) you should have plenty of time to get it up to donegal.

hope this helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Alot of people do not get their answer until after they go on maternity leave and get their 1st payment. Ring them and ask.
    If you want to go early they may be able to sign you off sick until maternity leave starts.
    DO not let your employer pressureise you in to anything,you will want time with the baby after it is born too.

Advertisement