Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Painting

Options
  • 06-12-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a friend's bicycle painted for her christmas present. Sadly I don't have the time available to do it myself. Where's the best place/who's the best person to get this done?

It's just a standard commuting hybrid bicycle if that's of relevance.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Col Man wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping to get a friend's bicycle painted for her christmas present. Sadly I don't have the time available to do it myself. Where's the best place/who's the best person to get this done?

It's just a standard commuting hybrid bicycle if that's of relevance.

Thanks!

A few places will do a spray or powder coat but most of them will still ask you to strip the bike down completely, ie take everything you don't want touched other than the frame completely removed, tallaght powder coating are the only ones that spring to mind of the top of my head.

Their might be cycle specific ones who will strip, cover your bike safely/properly but I can't think of any in Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rothar can do a bit I think, but not a perfect job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If its an aluminium frame I wouldn't get it powder coated.

Also some manufacturers like Cannondale void their frame warranties after resprays of any description.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

I'm having my old steel frame bike that i cycled in the 80's sodablasted syrayed and laquered today. will let you know how it turns out. Won't get to collect today as I cycled to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

ccmp wrote: »
    I'm having my old steel frame bike that i cycled in the 80's sodablasted syrayed and laquered today. will let you know how it turns out. Won't get to collect today as I cycled to work.

Where are you getting that done? I've a steel frame which I'm hoping to get resprayed soon. I was thinking of sending it to Bob Jackson's in Yorkshire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Where are you getting that done? I've a steel frame which I'm hoping to get resprayed soon. I was thinking of sending it to Bob Jackson's in Yorkshire.

Mine needs doing too.

Sodablast.ie in cork. Will revert with result next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Sodablast.ie in cork. Will revert with result next week.
    Was it dear? Was thinking of calling in there in the new year with a steel frame racer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given the downturn in the car trade these days, it seems like there could be an opportunity for car spraying chaps to make a few quid as a sideline. It would take a bit of practice as bike frames can be a right barsteward to spray*, but it could be a goer. Then again material costs alone are high, so what people in Ireland might be prepared to pay could be an issue. Especially given powdercoating is 100 odd quid last time I looked. That said powdercoating IMHO doesn't give close to the finish of a pro spray job, plus you have many more options for customised work.

*I've done a couple DIY. There's lots of wastage and real easy to get runs if you're not careful. There are some tricks mind you, like start at the tube junctions(BB Headtube etc) tackling the main tubes after. Am currently doing my own old steel job. Now you can get two pack in a rattle can so that makes a diff. Just waiting for warmer weather to come in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Collected frame. Will post pic's later. Very happy with result. Big bonus was not having to strip paint myself. Frame looked like something fit for skip, with rust coming through badly. They also stripped the chrome fitting on front fork and matched in a silver colour spray.
    Cost €120 for a classic black laquered finish. looking forward to building up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Collected frame. Will post pic's later. Very happy with result. Big bonus was not having to strip paint myself. Frame looked like something fit for skip, with rust coming through badly. They also stripped the chrome fitting on front fork and matched in a silver colour spray.
    Cost €120 for a classic black laquered finish. looking forward to building up now.

Proper spray or powder coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I have an alu frame with carbon forks and I'd love to give it a respray too... are these guys in sodablast.ie to be trusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

If its an aluminium frame I wouldn't get it powder coated.

Also some manufacturers like Cannondale void their frame warranties after resprays of any description.

So what do you do with it? is there any other way to go?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

clod71 wrote: »

So what do you do with it? is there any other way to go?
    Thanks

Normal paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

These guys have started up close to me, I don't know them or anything about the quality of their work, but maybe they might be worth talking to?

http://www.bicycledesigncentre.com/frame-respray-renovation/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Is there many of these frame resprayers around?

I don't think I've actually ever seen a resprayed bike (or at least noticed a resprayed bike) before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nilhg wrote: »
    These guys have started up close to me, I don't know them or anything about the quality of their work, but maybe they might be worth talking to?

http://www.bicycledesigncentre.com/frame-respray-renovation/
    Funny that they say for thin walled tubing they remove the paint by hand. I can understand not putting paint stripper next nor near carbon frames, but I would have thought chemical removal of paint from thin walled tubing would be a better approach than taking sand paper to one?
    looder wrote:
    I don't think I've actually ever seen a resprayed bike (or at least noticed a resprayed bike) before.
    I saw a restored 1970's Raleigh team frame years ago and the finish was unreal. Much better than original. It was done in the UK IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

looder wrote: »

Some brave souls will even do it with spray cans! Can work out great but I dont think id have the finesse for it

Advertisement