Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With a little help from my friends...

Options
  • 06-12-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody :)

I'm a long time lurker on this forum but this is my first post! I've just started to write my first novel and I'm very happy with my progress so far. I've just been wondering though, do those of you who have written novels already find it helpful to get feedback from people after you've written two or three chapters? I have one or two friends whose opinions I trust greatly and I'm thinking it might be beneficial to get some feedback as I go along???

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It can go either way. If you've just started and you get bad feedback it can put you off completely. If you've written a good chunk you might find it hard to get honest feedback from people you know. I'd say write enough that you're confident you could finish (maybe even a whole first draft) but don't leave it too long or you may waste months writing somewhere that an objective eye can see is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Thanks for the reply Pickarooney! I think I'm going to finish the first six or seven chapters and get my friend to have a read of it then, I'm very thick skinned and have huge respect for this particular person so I think I'll be able to take all criticism in a constructive way. Thanks again :)

Advertisement