Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive Christmas Cards

Options
  • 05-12-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

The first Christmas card arrived at Chez Banbh and it was a nasty piece of work.
    It showed a figure - possibly Palestinian, probably Jewish - holding out his hands and smiling in a sinister manner. His insides were exposed, revealing a heart, punctured with thorns and dripping blood. The message urged me to keep this image before me over Christmas.
    As we all know here, Christmas is a time for feasting and drinking and celebrating the turn of the year, and embarrasing ourselves at office parties, when the dark days of winter are defeated and the days lengthen. It is a time for getting merry with friends and relatives. A time for pints and pickles - but not necessarily together.
    To have this horrific image on the mantle-piece would be a reminder of the horror of the Christian era when children were subjected to every kind of cruelty imaginable. It burned nicely. Tomorrow I will look for the loudest, most colourful, most gloriously joyous card to send in return. That's the Christmas spirit.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have Humanist cards that I send to very specific people. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I usually go for ones with pictures and no message. Cats and kittens are a winner, followed by Dogs and Chimps. Also Jim Fitzpatrick ones are good.

I'd much prefer passive aggressive Christmas cards tbh. Who doesn't love the passive-aggression of the Christ?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

I once got a card that read "Merry Christmas, you godless c*nt." I thought it was a bit full on, but to be fair I appreciated the gesture all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Dades wrote: »
    I have Humanist cards that I send to very specific people. ;)
    What do you send to the very general people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The Humanist cards are a bit too... what's the word... 'holy' I suppose but in a secular sense.

I prefer something like the Spirit of Christmas Past as played by Robbie Coltrane with a turkey leg in one hand and a jug of punch in the other.

Is there any chance of an A+A card with a little message - "This card has helped to save a child from religious education."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm dreading receiving cards from my new coworkers. Apparently it is the done thing around these parts. I am totally going to be the talk of the town for not giving Christmas cards to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just get a bunch of "My deepest sympathies" cards or something.

I'M SO SORRY FOR YOUR TERRIBLE LOSS
    OF REASON

SEASONS GREETINGS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What do you send to the very general people?
    Santas and snowmen ftw. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sarky wrote: »
    Just get a bunch of "My deepest sympathies" cards or something.
    i used to get 'on your ordination' cards for friends' birthdays years ago. can't get them anymore. you'd swear there was a shortage of new priests.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I get ones with cute animals for people

Actually no, I don't often give or receive any, but I am this year, and they're cute animals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

231596.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im not much of a card giver anyway but this year definitely not.

Usually I do cards from the DSPCA or similar. Guinea pigs wearing santa hats and the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Im not much of a card giver anyway but this year definitely not.

Usually I do cards from the DSPCA or similar. Guinea pigs wearing santa hats and the like.

Yeah I have dogs trust ones I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Any cards for Sol Invictus or Odin? :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Alternative xmas card:

42-SexySanta1.jpg?72

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

christmascardz.jpg

My first Christmas card this year has massive boot-faced angels armed with hymns. I still quite like it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I kinda like this trad-style card:

231608.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I would send it back to the heretic that sent it and remind him the the Pontifex Maximus has decreed that angels don't sing, only talk - like Irish people at parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I picked up some cards from St. Michael's House the other day, I don't usually donate to religious charities but I used to see them in my old job and they do great work. Out of 20 cards there were only 2 that were religious, which isn't bad going, and those are quite abstract anyway.

Maybe I'll scrawl on it with a black permanent marker: RETURN TO SENDER - NO CHRISTIANS AT THIS ADDRESS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

RNLI cards ftw... Nice designs and supports a good cause. No need to drag religion into winter-fest.

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Alternative xmas card:

42-SexySanta1.jpg?72

The photographer said he'd make me a star :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm dreading receiving cards from my new coworkers. Apparently it is the done thing around these parts. I am totally going to be the talk of the town for not giving Christmas cards to others.

There's no reason not to send Yule/Solstice/Winterval/Anyexcuseforaboozeup cards :)

Plenty of santa / rudolf / snowman type cards available in mainstream shops with no religious connotations at all.

Just remember. Those feckin' Xtians STOLE OUR YULE!!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am getting my ass kicked in the annual who's Irish Catholic parent can send the most infuriatingly supportive 'To my Son/Daughter and their Partner' card.
    Unless my mother seriously ups her game this year, moves beyond her Constable fixation and gets something a bit fabulous I am sooo going to lose to a friend whose Dad who sent her a card with a fecking rainbow flag (made from silk like!) splashed across a hot pink background but which has a soft butch geometric overall design- it's the fecking Sheila's wheels of cards driven by Thelma and Louise as played by Lily Savage and Ellen DeGeneres :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

koth wrote: »

They're actually kind of cool in a Nightmare Before Christmassy kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Just print out the xmas card from here - http://www.code-d.com/tesco-cards/

Preferably on a black and white printer to get the full 'I can't be arsed partaking in this ritual' effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can't find the exact image but when I worked for Barnardos we used to sell a Xmas card that looked almost exactly like this.
    Brussels_sproutsR.jpg&w=940&h=400&zc=1

It was incredibly popular and was pretty much sold out in November.

Advertisement