Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disk error but not disk

Options
  • 05-12-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

old laptop. windows xp. disk was giving me problems, windows wouldnt boot, disk read errors. booted into DOS and tried to save what I could off it. bought a new shiny 2.5 inch internal, slipped it in, tried to install windows again, but wouldnt go on, might have been my isntall disk. created a flash installer on USB. still wouldnt go on.

Dang! what could it be, I know I'll try ubuntu...surely that will go on. Half way through the installer fails with cant create partition becuase of disk error. I slap the disk into a 2.5 inch external usb enclosure I have, format it on laptop eile and nothing wrong with it.

back into laptop 1, ubunutu again, same problem with the partition. so heres the question, is there anything else in the lapper that cause that problem other than the disk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Disk controller on the board could be on the way out. Or an issue with the connection between the drive and the board, especially if a ribbon cable is involved. If its a controller issue, might be worth toggling AHCI on/off in BIOS settings to see if that gets you out of the woods with the install.

Could also be a RAM issue. Reseat the modules for fun, then test with Memtestx86. Provided it will boot it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Disk controller on the board could be on the way out. Or an issue with the connection between the drive and the board, especially if a ribbon cable is involved. If its a controller issue, might be worth toggling AHCI on/off in BIOS settings to see if that gets you out of the woods with the install.

Could also be a RAM issue but I'd be looking at the two above first.

good call on the BIOS, I'll check that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Bios : drive set to ide?
    raid off?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the SMART data from the drive too - this isn't usually available when drive is in a USB caddy

since you've used ubuntu then http://partedmagic.com/doku.php is a handy bootable CD , clicking on the drive will display the SMART info, and can do tests on the drive - NB a full test will take the time it says - could be hours on the latest drives.

Advertisement