Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Pollution

Options
  • 05-12-2012 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I remember being in Kilkee a few years back, in the middle of nowhere and seeing so many stars. It was actually hard to see the plough because of the amount of stars you could see all around it. I was mesmerized.

I moved to America about 18 months ago and I live in New Hampshire. I can only ever see a couple of stars on a clear night. It is killing me. I figured it was light pollution from the city, but when I climbed Mt Washington - in the middle of nowhere and above any lights I still couldn't see too many stars.

Any recommendations on what I can do here? I fee like I'm just out of luck, but I miss looking at the stars every night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wilco

I'd suggest searching Dark Skies sites. There is a lot of activity internationally attempting to document and protect the night sky. We even had a web group in Ireland (ILPAC) that disbanded eventually. I tried to lobby for legislation but got little traction here.
    The night sky is our window on the universe, revealing profound truths about realities beyond the mundane. It is inherently beautiful. I wish more people could value that.

Advertisement