Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awaiting TVT surgery

Options
  • 05-12-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I was diagnosed with severe incontinence in 2010 and after trying various methods nothing has helped the problem so earlier this year it was decided that surgery was the best option. Here is where it gets complicated!

At the time my nearest hospital (Letterkenny) did not perform this proceedure but my cons told me they were hoping to get the authorisation to start before the end of 2012 - my other option was to be referred to a cons in Dublin. At that time the cons in Dublin couldn't see me until Sept due to hols etc) So I opted to wait to have the surgery in LGH as the time frame was similar and it would also save me having to make numerous long journeys to Dublin. The cons told me that he would expect to start doing the proceedure in Oct and that I could expect a call in Nov. That would mean that I would be able to return to work by the New Year.

Fast forward to today and I have just been informed that LGH wont be performing the proceedure for the forseable and I will now be referred to Dublin. So essentially I have just been set back by more than 6 months.

I am so fed up as I thought that I would have the surgery over me at this stage but now I am back at square one. To make matters worse, I was offered a new job and as I was awaiting surgery, they were willing to hold off on starting my contract til Jan. This new job will involve a lot of travelling for the first few months and they have now contacted me regarding booking flights for me to attend various tradeshows.

My question is this, as a private patient can I request that I be seen immediately by the cons in Dublin so that I can get the surgery done asap or do I just have to sit it out?

Mods: maybe this isn't in the right place so feel free to move it if needs be!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lizzyberm

Hi what did you decide to do? I saw a Dublin consultant in January, had tests done in Feb and am scheduled to have the TOT version of this surgery next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lizzyberm

I had this op done in April, seems to have been a complete success, would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

While I'm very happy it was a success for you, the TOT that you had and the TVT referenced in the title of the thread are very different surgeries, and a good success from one should not be seen as an endorsement of the other....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

While I'm very happy it was a success for you, the TOT that you had and the TVT referenced in the title of the thread are very different surgeries, and a good success from one should not be seen as an endorsement of the other....

Agree and I think this is a good place to end

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement