Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education, any grants?

Options
  • 05-12-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi
    Here a quick background to my situation.
    I have been self-employed for the last 8 years, had to close down my business due to the downturn. i am unemployed now for a year and a half. I get nothing of the state. My husband lost his job too about 2 years ago and is on the dole and also gets the Family Supplement.
    We have 2 small kids and my husbands daughter is in college.
    Now my question, i want to go back to education, take up a course and go back to college part-time/ distance learning or an evening course.
    Would i be entitled to a grant or the back to education allowance? Is there any help out there for my situation? I am sick of being at home, but can not afford to pay for college/education, seeing as we already have hubbies daughter to support in college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yadayadaya

If you are on jobseekers allowance then you could be entitled to btea when you start your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can only get back to education allowance or grants for full time courses

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 48 trulla

So i am not entitled to anything if i am doing a part-time, online or evening course? No help whatsoever out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The only thing I can think of is tax relief on fees

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement