Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with wireless microphone

Options
  • 05-12-2012 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have set up a variety group and we are putting on a show in the new year. I was hoping to buy 2/3 wireless microphones for the actors in the show. I had no idea what I should be looking for and was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

They don't need to be of high quality- it's just for speech- but I will need them to be clip on. Any help is appreciated. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

I recommend Sennheiser above all others unless you're spending thousands on each one. They need to be cardioid pattern mics for best performance with PA systems.

If you're buying used, make sure it can work in the 861 to 863mhz range. That's the only part of the ch69 slot still legal. Otherwise you need the new ch38 range, which although the license is free, needs a license.

Aside from the legalities, mics in the wrong band will be unreliable at best, unuseable at worst, especially when 4g mobile equipment comes into use.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hardrocksinger

I'm considering buying a wireless system for stage performances, such as Shure PGX24E/Beta 58 S10 – which apparently operates in Chanel 38, but I can't find information about the license, do you know where/ how could I get one? Tks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Comreg have the wireless info. Be careful buying used as some sellers may be trying to move on soon-to-be illegal frequencies

tks for posting! I don't know a single thing about these legal aspects, always used normal wired mics. I was considering this product on Thomann, would that be a soon-to-be-illegal frequency? http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_pgx24e_beta_58_s10.htm

From what I read, all the changes already took place, didn't they? Since october 2012 or there are more changes coming? There's a YouTube link below, the person shows that the receiver automatically searches for an available channel, then you just point the mic to the receiver to synch it. What I didn't understand is if whatever channel it finds is within the "legal" range – do you know anything about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZn-VXVwSuc

Will check the comreg website, tks for that

I'm not going to answer any frequency questions - I recommend you go to the horse's mouth on this one. That looks like a nice handset - i have a Shure radio mic for years and it's bulletproof. Mine luckily fell in the legal frequency (pure luck!!). That Thomann one seems to have the red flag for Ireland/UK so I don't know. Pity, because it looks like a nice set. Mine sounds exactly like a wired 58 so it's perfect for ringing out monitors and for any vocal application in general.

• Advertisement

I think I finally understood, they do have a frequency that will no be affected by the change, and Thomann has the same mic in that frequency, http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_pgx24ebeta58_t1.htm

so that would probably be the correct choice! And I found a PDF in Shure's website, that frequency appears to be license-free (or at least, won't be illegal once they start with the 4G mobiles)

Tks for the help! =)

Oh yeah, didn't see that! Might get one myself - thanks!

Advertisement