Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan man joins the Cricket mod team

Options
  • 05-12-2012 3:04am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Our guideline suggests that all forums should have a minimum of 2-mods-per-forum. Dan man has volunteered to help TrueDub as co-mod of the Cricket forum. Thanks Dan man for your service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Thanks, I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Great to have you involved Dan, it's really good that there's more interest in the forum now.

There's a lot of really good contributors, and very little hassle, so I'd reckon you'll spend more time talking cricket than modding - I certainly do!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK Dan - first "test" - explain the LBW law ....:D

... Oh, and welcome and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Beasty wrote: »
    OK Dan - first "test" - explain the LBW law ....:D

... Oh, and welcome and good luck

I don't think I'll bore all you cricket buffs by explaining such an elementary rule... same goes for D/L method :D
    Great to have you on board Dan

Thanks Gordon.
    as of about 9pm tomorrow night will post a Leinster cricket related thread that will be news! Hopefully your first bannings won't be warranted :pac:

Well just in case, here's a preview of a little "bat" of my own....

famale.gif

I find it's good for helping others find their "boundaries" and "knocking them for six" if they're "wide" of the mark.

Sorry, I'll turn it on myself first for using a shameful amount of poor cricketing puns :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Well, at least you didn't mention anything about "bowling a maiden over"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Dan man wrote: »
    I don't think I'll bore all you cricket buffs by explaining such an elementary rule... same goes for D/L method :D

The D/L can only be explained verbally, with lubricated vocals of beer and one eye on the scoreboard to see what it actually is! ;)

HonalD wrote: »
    The D/L can only be explained verbally, with lubricated vocals of beer and one eye on the scoreboard to see what it actually is! ;)

Not true - D/L is actually very simple.

You take the total runs scored, then divide by the balls faced. This is then divided by 1 over the number of potential balls in the innings.

You then multiply that figure by the number of spanners in the groundsman's shed, minus the average age of the bowling side, not counting the 2nd and 3rd-youngest players.

Finally, the most important step and the one that gets forgotten most often, is to add the cardinal numbers of the home countries of the two captains, where a=1, b=2 etc, and multiply that number by the length in centimetres from the centre stump to the square boundary closest to magnetic north - but not true north! - then divide the second & third numbers by the first, and add the number of teeth the home wicketkeeper is missing.

As I said, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

You do know that cricket isnt an olympic sport DM?

good to have you on board here :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

HonalD wrote: »

It's done by consensus isn't it...or perhaps auction style

Everyone meets at the bar, looks at the scoreboard and calls out a chase figure. If more than 22% of people shout out the same number +/- 20 runs, that's agreed upon by all.

The lbw rule is the hardest thing to explain in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

dfx- wrote: »

I tend to just simplify it to "if the ball hits you on the leg then you are out"; its just less hassle that way :pac:

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »

The rule is really simple - it's the exceptions that complicate it. And, because it's based purely on one person's opinion, it will always have an element of controversy. Everyone has an opinion, only 1 person's opinion counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

TrueDub wrote: »
    The rule is really simple - it's the exceptions that complicate it. And, because it's based purely on one person's opinion, it will always have an element of controversy. Everyone has an opinion, only 1 person's opinion counts.

I find its not all that complicated in our league at all to be honest; the default answer seems to be "Not Out", which removes any element of doubt from the equation... :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TrueDub wrote: »
    Everyone has an opinion, only 1 person's opinion counts.
    ... and he's called Hawkeye ...:)

I've deleted the last 3 posts from this thread as they didn't make sense after splitting off the Old Belvedere discussion (available here).

Advertisement