Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Section Recovery Tips

Options
  • 05-12-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

I had an emergency c section on Sunday and am looking for tips/advice on recovery plans, pain relief, coping with newborn (plus 2 year old) while recovering.

I c section was not planned and my first delivery was fine so I assumed the second would be too. As such I did not research c sections and the impact they have on your body/mind.

I had c section on Sunday afternoon after very long attempted vaginal delivery. I remained in bed until Monday morning (as instructed by medical staff). Monday at 6am I got out of bed and showered. I stayed out of bed all day Monday and walked as much as possible in the hospital. I took paracetamol and was fine. By Monday night my scar area was quite
    Sore so I accepted the difine sepositary offered. Monday night baby was sick so I was up all night. Tuesday morning I found it very difficult to get out of bed due to soreness ( I'm not sure best way Roget out of bed at the moment). I got out
    Of bed Tuesday and had shower. At 10:30am I got onto bed and slept for 30 mins (sitting up) again I walked as much as possible and looked after baby again at 4:30 I got onto bed and slept for 30 mins (sitting up). I was mobile for the rest of Tuesday and took paracetamol during the day. At bedtime on Tuesday I tried to sleep sitting up again but it was uncomfortable. Now I need to know what pain relief people suggest, what sleeping positions are best and any other tips in comfort and recovery from c sections peopleight have

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

congratulations. I also had section recently, so here is my advice.
    Take whatever pain relief they give you in the hospital even if you feel fine because if you don't t then you get sore and it takes ages for next round of pain killers to catch up and work.
    Doc will prescribe you pain relief too when you are leaving. Take this regularly too as you get sore from doing stuff and tiredness exasperates the pain.
    Take paractamol if you need it after that.
    Organise some help for when you get out as lifting two year old, changing nappies etc can hurt.
    Good luck

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

To avoid putting your wound under pressure, when you get up from the bed, roll onto your side and swing your legs out of the bed, but use your arms - elbows then hands from your side position to support your weight, not your abdominal muscles.

So for instance, lie on your left side, bend your knees up and use your right hand pushing against the bed and your left elbow, then as your upper body comes up, swing your legs to the floor.

Take the time to rest - walking is all very good, but you need to heal too so dont over do it. I pretty much looked after the baby and that was it for the first week - no housework whatsoever. Dont lift anything heavier than the baby. Use a maternity pad as padding over the wound inside your undies.

I was on Difene+Paracetamol for days 1-5, but after that for 2 weeks it was just paracetamol. Take whatever pain relief offered but bear in mind not to do too much as you wont feel it while the meds are working but when they wear off you will know you over did it. I used to sleep on my left side curled up, but thats the way I slept during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Cannot recommend taking Arncia tablets enough, I acredit it to me feeling almost back to normal after just 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Cannot recommend taking Arncia tablets enough, I acredit it to me feeling almost back to normal after just 5 days.

I was told by the consultant NOT to take arnica after surgery as it can have an effect on clotting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Glowing wrote: »

I was told by the consultant NOT to take arnica after surgery as it can have an effect on clotting!

Really, never heard that, all I can say is I recovered quickly, with little swelling & no infection so I attributed it to taking Arnica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Ms2011 wrote: »

Really, never heard that, all I can say is I recovered quickly, with little swelling & no infection so I attributed it to taking Arnica.
    I didn't know that either! It was highly recommended to me after Surgery and I took it after I had my baby in August(not by section) and I thought it was amazing! That's mad,I never heard that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Yeah he said that it can be used after a natural birth for swelling & bruising but not while I had any sort of incision as it can bleed after taking arnica!

OP Im surprised you are only on paracetemol! I was on morphine for the first 24 hours, paracetemol & diphene for the first week, then paracetemol & ponston thereafter!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Glowing I was the exact same took all the pain relief going!

I had a sheet folded up in to a little square and pressed it against the cut while coughing/laughing or getting up the midwife gave me it in the hospital and it was a godsend.

Def agree with don't try to do too much I thought I felt fine but it's later on and the next day it hits you.

6 weeks today and I finally feel like my old self again!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

I had a section 3 weeks today and my advice would be the same as others...take everything offered!! I found if I took the difene suppositories at night I slept comfortably... Also the effects of it should last for 16 hrs. I was also taking regular paracetamol and for the first 3/4 days I was on regular oxymoron (morphine based). I'm back walking (about 30/40 mins) and hope to get back driving tomorrow :p. ask the midwives for everything prescribed...most drugs will be on an 'as needed' basis and if u don't ask the pain relief won't be given!

Advertisement