Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Museum

Options
  • 04-12-2012 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

So it has now been moved to City Hall awaiting another move (I heard the Old Dunnes on Sarsfield Street)

I am glad that it moved from beside the castle as everything was crowded in there and it seemed like someone's personal collection not a city museum. I suppose it was a step up from when it was in John's Square.

What is your opinion on our museum? Would it work better in the old Dunnes Building?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see how a museum located in an old supermarket building that was built in the 1970/80s could be appealing to tourists to be honest unless they give it a major overhaul inside and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I would expect them to give it an overhaul, but being a larger building and more centrally located might attract more visitors to it, even the locals who are around town might actually pop in there for something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

A stone or brick building would have looked nicer for it but at least the size of the building should suit the museum and it being on a main street should improve visitors, especially after the quays are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The church that was for sale on O'Connell Avenue would have made for a lovely museum imho.

The old TSB (I think) bank on Catherine st/Glentworth st would also have made for a nice museum.

The old church that is beside the Dunnes on Henry street(Think Mary I own it now) is another building that would have made for a lovely looking museum.

Right now the only available and for sale building close to the city centre that has the size and exterior look, again imho, would be the Bank Bar.

Would hate to see the museum get relocated in the old Dunnes building as even with a modest overhaul it would be a cheap and nasty home for the museum.

Funny how a permanent home for the museum was something that was being crowed about a year or so ago by the then mayor as something that was on the cusp of happening, and now 12 to 18 months later none of the bs that was spouted back then with regards to the museum is any closer to happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kess73 wrote: »
    The church that was for sale on O'Connell Avenue would have made for a lovely museum imho.

The old TSB (I think) bank on Catherine st/Glentworth st would also have made for a nice museum.

The old church that is beside the Dunnes on Henry street(Think Mary I own it now) is another building that would have made for a lovely looking museum.

Right now the only available and for sale building close to the city centre that has the size and exterior look, again imho, would be the Bank Bar.

Would hate to see the museum get relocated in the old Dunnes building as even with a modest overhaul it would be a cheap and nasty home for the museum.

Funny how a permanent home for the museum was something that was being crowed about a year or so ago by the then mayor as something that was on the cusp of happening, and now 12 to 18 months later none of the bs that was spouted back then with regards to the museum is any closer to happening.

The Bank pub is too small and the stairways are way too narrow. The old TSB is probably too small as well.

Either church was a possibility though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

phog wrote: »
    The Bank pub is too small and the stairways are way too narrow. The old TSB is probably too small as well.

Either church was a possibility though.

The Bank pub has three floors and a basement in the main building though, as well as two floors and a basement in the secondary building, and is not that small in terms of usuable square footage.

Gut the bar related stuff from it, add (or widen) an extra stairway, and make use of each floor and it would not be a terrible location. The one big flaw would be the lowish ceilings as I love museums with lots of ceiling height.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Sitewise not bad......but that building! :eek:

1581806987.jpg

Talk about throwing a bag over the head.

Tear it down or better still think about the alternative such as the old Franciscan chuch on Henry St mentioned which btw also has a huge area/add on building at rear and would be accessible from new boardwalk.

edit: old TSB on Glentworth st. was recently renovated and is now occupied by Sarsfield Credit union..too small anyway tbh

Advertisement