Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Radio Stations get bundle offers

Options
  • 04-12-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Just wondering if radio stations get offers from record companies that entitles them to play a certain song at a cheaper rate if they play it a number of times. And do record companies charge lesser amounts for different versions of songs? For example this morning i heard Daniel O'Donnell singing "That's amore" on Lyric Fm. Would this have been a cheaper recording for Lyric Fm to play. I have mainly noticed this on Lyric Fm where you will hear the same pieces of music popping up quite regularly across different shows even though the classical repertoire is massive. Two examples of this on Lyric are Caccini "Ave Maria" and Donizetti "Una Furtiva Lagrima". Has anyone else noticed this and am i right to suspect that Lyric may be availing of a special deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

Just wondering if radio stations get offers from record companies that entitles them to play a certain song at a cheaper rate if they play it a number of times. And do record companies charge lesser amounts for different versions of songs? For example this morning i heard Daniel O'Donnell singing "That's amore" on Lyric Fm. Would this have been a cheaper recording for Lyric Fm to play. I have mainly noticed this on Lyric Fm where you will hear the same pieces of music popping up quite regularly across different shows even though the classical repertoire is massive. Two examples of this on Lyric are Caccini "Ave Maria" and Donizetti "Una Furtiva Lagrima". Has anyone else noticed this and am i right to suspect that Lyric may be availing of a special deal?

The record company gives the song to the station for free, and the royalties vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Don't most stations play a flat fee to the BAI now and just play whatever, then the BAI pay the individual record companies? They probably have to send on their playlists to confirm stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Billy Idol has just had a new extension to his house thanks to Nova..........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

soc160 wrote: »
    Don't most stations play a flat fee to the BAI now and just play whatever, then the BAI pay the individual record companies? They probably have to send on their playlists to confirm stuff though.
    that would be the irish music rights association your referring to not the BAI, anyway anyway in relation to liric i thought music loses its copyright after a certain age? meaning much of lirics music would be royalty free?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement