Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six NHL owners sit down with 18 players for negotiations

Options
  • 04-12-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410921

Six NHL owners and 18 players, including Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews, will sit down together today to continue labour talks in New York City beginning at about 2pm et.

The NHLPA confirmed the list of players who will be present, including Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, Crosby, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Toews and Kevin Westgarth.

Six owners will represent the league at the meeting, including Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, Ronald Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets, Jeffery Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Murray Edwards of the Calgary Flames and Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I'd like to congratulate the NHLPA on sending so many high school educated players to try to negotiate the new CBA.

They are completely out of their element.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410921

Six NHL owners and 18 players, including Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews, will sit down together today to continue labour talks in New York City beginning at about 2pm et.

The NHLPA confirmed the list of players who will be present, including Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, Crosby, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Toews and Kevin Westgarth.

Six owners will represent the league at the meeting, including Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, Ronald Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets, Jeffery Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Murray Edwards of the Calgary Flames and Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I'd like to congratulate the NHLPA on sending so many high school educated players to try to negotiate the new CBA.

They are completely out of their element.

I'm actually quite optimistic about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

I'm actually quite optimistic about this...

Our NHL'er has been recalled early to the 'canes so hopefully things are going to a close

Our NHL'er has been recalled early to the 'canes so hopefully things are going to a close

Not looking too good now, talks have broken down yet again. How well did Stewart play for the Panthers, was there an obvious difference in ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Loads, even though he didn't post the numbers that I would expect, his speed and skating ability is obviously on another level. He also seemed to be able to throw a decent check quite effortlessly and dig the puck out of the corners every time even when he was double teamed. I could watch him skate all day :D

I'll have to say that the biggest impact any NHL'er has had over here is bissonnette though, he has transformed Cardiff's team. Which is a shame, as we play them away from home today! ;(

We really really want this to be over though as me and the girlfriend planned on an NHL trip last year, if they do start up again we will look to go in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

We really really want this to be over though as me and the girlfriend planned on an NHL trip last year, if they do start up again we will look to go in March.

Games have been cancelled until the new year now. I am over in NY in April/May/June a few times, so I am hoping that they find a resolution leading to games starting again in the new year. I had great hopes for this season, building on from our improvement last year. I could live with this lockout if it meant that I got to see the post season and the Rangers lifting the cup. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Was talking to family in Canada today. Uncle was at a dinner with one of the Aquilinis (Canucks owners) last Thursday. Long story short: 40 game season starting on about the 15th of January. Deal done, just waiting to be signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I'm struggling to understand what the problem is/was in the NHL, is it players looking for money? Any links to a good article on it would be great!

I had tickets to see the Islanders vs the Rangers in NYC a few years ago and that game was canceled, now I've moved to Calgary and theres no games again? Its off putting and has directed me and my gf straight to the Hitmen, we live 15min bus from the Saddledome so why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

tolosenc wrote: »
    Was talking to family in Canada today. Uncle was at a dinner with one of the Aquilinis (Canucks owners) last Thursday. Long story short: 40 game season starting on about the 15th of January. Deal done, just waiting to be signed.

Don't do that, don't dangle the dream then take it away.

In fairness though, with Krecji and Bergeron and some of the other he starting to drop away from their 'loan' teams, its starting to look like something is happening.
    I live in hope.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

tolosenc wrote: »

Where did this come from? Who negotiated this deal? No word of it on the Rangers forum. They are waiting for the season to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

COYW wrote: »
    Where did this come from? Who negotiated this deal? No word of it on the Rangers forum. They are waiting for the season to be cancelled.

Allegedly, one of the owners of the Canucks. Don't know much regards the specifics.

Was watching the Toronto - Hamilton AHL game earlier and Burke (Leafs GM) was on and talked about how training camps might work out.

Realistically, this needs to be confirmed by the end of the first week of 2013. If we hear nothing by the 15th of January, then the season is gone. 36 is the absolute minimum number of games (personal opinion - twice against each of the other 14 teams in the conference, then twice again against the other 4 teams in the division) so the season has to start in January, or won't at all.

I believe we'll see significant movement in the next week.

• Advertisement

Can't see anything happening at this point, I've already written off the 12/13 season. Any shortened season would be massively tainted with terrible attendances and a worthless Stanley Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Lads, what's going down? Are we going to see a season? Today is sounding positive? FYI: I'm not very up on what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Well it's looking more positive than it has all year to me. But then again, the NHL could offer the sun, moon and stars, and it still probably wouldn't be enough. I see Sequin is returning home also, so maybe we will get some good news.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Advertisement