Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Songs/Podcasts??

Options
  • 04-12-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey!
    Does anyone know of any useful french songs/podcasts that could help with the Oral??
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

http://www.youtube.com/user/lsfrench?feature=watch

this channel has a lot of videos thats helpful. well for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7 geography!

Thanks so much! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Coeur de Pirate:
    Printemps, Comme Des Enfants, Adieu, Francis

Yelle:
    Safari Disco Club, Comme Un Enfant, À Cause Des Garcons, Je Veux Te Voir

Marie-Mai:
    La Prochaine Fois, C.O.B.R.A. (a real favourite of mine :P), Sans Cri Ni Haine

Simple Plan:
    Jet Lag (ft Marie-Mai for the French version :))

Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un M'a Dit

These songs are all excellent imo and if you listen to them, look up the lyrics and not even learn them off but just be aware of them, then you'll learn SO many new words, so many constructions to help you with writing, and you'll be used to hearing words spoken quickly together so the aural becomes so easy! I can't stress how easy French becomes when you do this, sorry, I just get a little excited. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 geography!

Thanks a million! Will give them a shot! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Coeur de Pirate:
    Printemps, Comme Des Enfants, Adieu, Francis

Yelle:
    Safari Disco Club, Comme Un Enfant, À Cause Des Garcons, Je Veux Te Voir

Marie-Mai:
    La Prochaine Fois, C.O.B.R.A. (a real favourite of mine :P), Sans Cri Ni Haine

Simple Plan:
    Jet Lag (ft Marie-Mai for the French version :))

Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un M'a Dit

These songs are all excellent imo and if you listen to them, look up the lyrics and not even learn them off but just be aware of them, then you'll learn SO many new words, so many constructions to help you with writing, and you'll be used to hearing words spoken quickly together so the aural becomes so easy! I can't stress how easy French becomes when you do this, sorry, I just get a little excited. :pac:

Sorry to butt in, but I hear a lot of people saying that listening to French music is a great way to tune your ear to French. Stupid question, how do you actually do this? :L
    Like, do you follow the lyrics when your listening or what? I downloaded a song or two from Coeurdepirate the other day and tried listening to them, but I ended up totally lost without a clue what was going on in the song :pac:
    So do you translate in your head as its playing or just listen?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Sorry to butt in, but I hear a lot of people saying that listening to French music is a great way to tune your ear to French. Stupid question, how do you actually do this? :L
    Like, do you follow the lyrics when your listening or what? I downloaded a song or two from Coeurdepirate the other day and tried listening to them, but I ended up totally lost without a clue what was going on in the song :pac:
    So do you translate in your head as its playing or just listen?

Thanks!
    Haha dont worry, its perfectly normal to be lost when you dont look at the lyrics!

What I generally do is listen to the song to see if I like how it sounds (no point listening to music you dont like), then look up the lyrics in French and listen again to see what I know, then look up words I don't know. It's handy because if, for example, it was something like "running along the hill" and you knew what "running" and "along" were, you'll learn the word "the hill" effortlessly because you'll hear it and know from the English lyrics that it means hill.

There are a lot of words in the songs I listen to that I don't actually know, its impossible to learn them all right away, but if you keep the English translation in mind while listening then youll learn it. My method sounds kind of tedious when I read over it, maybe it is for some, I just enjoyed it because I love French :) So to summarise:

1. Listen to the song (even if you wont understand it)
    2. Look up the French lyrics. See what you understand.
    3. Translate the words you don't know and keep them in mind.
    4. Listen to the song as many times as you like
    5. Learn loads of French :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Thanks a lot, that's a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This. She's hot and the tune is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ella.cole

Omg thanks guys so much for posting these! These will really help with my french! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Look up Sexion D'Assaut and their songs maybe specifically Ça Chuchote...it's rap and so it mightn't be to your taste but if you can understand that you can get by ANYTHING! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Sniper - Grave dans la roche

straight up gangster rap:p

kingcobra wrote: »
    Look up Sexion D'Assaut and their songs maybe specifically Ça Chuchote...it's rap and so it mightn't be to your taste but if you can understand that you can get by ANYTHING! :P

Cant believe I forgot this one - most of the ones I listed I found during the summer, but this was one I found before my leaving cert, and it's definitely one of the best. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I find these podcasts helpful

http://www.francaisauthentique.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Also, TAL "le sens de la vie" and Emmanuel Moire "Mon essentiel" are also very good.

But yeah. Sexion d'Assaut "Ma Direction" is a great French rap song! So catchy and the French is not too hard either :P

Cant believe I forgot this one - most of the ones I listed I found during the summer, but this was one I found before my leaving cert, and it's definitely one of the best. :P

I have a french oral test tomorrow, hopefully this will help me :)

Hopefully! Just make sure to manipulate the sentences...I said something last year like "il faut sors un peu de sa bulle" instead of sortir, my teacher was like wtf fix that :pac:

Hopefully! Just make sure to manipulate the sentences...I said something last year like "il faut sors un peu de sa bulle" instead of sortir, my teacher was like wtf fix that :pac:

lol! Im currently learning my document so i'll make sure of that when i'm preparing for the general convo!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5etHMRMMM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FlfZrMfvd4 are great songs from BB Brunes. Some of their older stuff isn't great but their recent album is pure gold, check it out.

Also, you can't go wrong with Alors On Danse.

Oh lord, Sexion D'assaut are fine music but good luck picking up much french from them. :P

Here's a good site for podcasts too. http://www.lemouv.fr/podcasts

anyone find any new songs. Need something new , listen to the others too much

Theres two if anyones interested. ;)

• Advertisement

These are both great! I haven't actually looked for translations really because I've been lazy, but bits of them aren't too hard to understand, particularly the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Stromae is brilliant. He's Belgian but a native French speaker. Alors on danse obviously and I also love the remix House'ellujah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oryxandcrake

Roller Girl-Anna Karina

C'est le temps de l'amour-Francoise Hardy

Advertisement