Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dell with Windows 8

Options
  • 04-12-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

So normally I use Vista 64 bit on my pc and current laptop.

The new dell laptop has windows 8.

No issue here really but it is just a BIT different to what I am used to not better (so far) or worse (so far) just different! :)

My issue is with Microsoft account - it seems it wants me to have one for everything like Skype - can I set up skype without one, it was not apparent?

It also appears there is a bit of bloat there that one could shed - what apps are better than the ones I have on Vista.

Can I download and run outlook express or is this not compatible with 8?

Thanks and apologies for tall the q's - this user is a tad green on 8 atm.

If it helps I am still rockin my nokia 6310i! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Guvnor wrote: »

No issue here really but it is just a BIT different to what I am used to not better (so far) or worse (so far) just different! :)

My issue is with Microsoft account - it seems it wants me to have one for everything like Skype - can I set up skype without one, it was not apparent?

It also appears there is a bit of bloat there that one could shed - what apps are better than the ones I have on Vista.

You'll need an MS account (hotmail/msn/live/outlook.com) for Skype alright and also things like the Windows 8 marketplace etc

Outlook express is gone the way of the dinosaur I'm afraid, but the Win 8 mail client is alright. Personally I use gmail so it's all "in the cloud" anyway

Depending on what DELL gave you, you might have a downgrade license for Windows 7 - think of it as Vista but faster and with the bugs fixed, and if the laptop you bought isn't touch screen it might be a better option for you if you can't get used to the Win 8 touch-oriented features.

If you do stay with 8 but find yourself missing the familiar interface, look up Start8 or Classic Shell which will restore the traditional Start Menu to the Desktop

6310i rules! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Kaiser!

I will check out start8 and classic shell.

I have a hotmail account actually but think I was signing up for a MS account last night but the click to verify email was sent to this comp.

I have 6 email addresses all work related and if I understand it correctly windows 8 can sync everything across a number of platforms.

6310i are now so old they are uber cool - have a few of them as spares - never let me down yet. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82067093&postcount=50 sums it up for me after an a few short hours...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I may be wrong but I don't believe you need an MS account if you are using the skype desktop client, only the skype app? That was my experience at least :confused:

What's confusing is that on the skype website they have a download "skype for windows 8" which is the app version, but the "skype for desktop" download is also for windows 8, and works just like the win 7/vista version does.

Thanks Project.
    I am getting better on 8 but will get that start button today.
    I got skype by logging into it with a current skype account and all was fine.

I think Dell would love it if I was using a MS account for everything and choosing McAffee as the AV program as well! :)

• Advertisement

On a somewhat related note what are the views on the new 2013 office pricing - subscription based rather than boxed software if you want to go that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What's confusing is that on the skype website they have a download "skype for windows 8" which is the app version, but the "skype for desktop" download is also for windows 8, and works just like the win 7/vista version does.

That's the entire problem really right there.

Windows 8 is trying to be two operating systems in one (touch and traditional) and ends up doing neither very well unless you start adding 3rd party add-ons like the aforementioned Start8

Windows 9 will probably fix most of this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On a somewhat related note what are the views on the new 2013 office pricing - subscription based rather than boxed software if you want to go that way?

Well this made me remember something.

Skype was bought out by Microsoft in the last year. In addition to that, Office 365 Subscriptions include 60 mins of Skype World minutes per month. So they tie in to each other using your live account.

To your other question Office will work like this in 2013: Single-User editions, Home, Home and Biz, and Professional, will be 1 user, 1 pc, download code only, license dies with the machine sort of thing. 365 Subscriptions will be on 5 PCs, Macs or Devices, and include the full Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and Publisher, as well as the ability to stream any office program to any PC you are sitting on just by logging into your account (kind of like you can with Word and Excel web-apps in SkyDrive right now, except for all the programs, and their full versions). Which level of Home/Home Biz/Pro/University 365 will determine how many users are allowed on it and what kind of cloud services you get, but all get free updates so long as you keep your subscription active.

^ Thanks Over - the subs option for 5 devices looks like a good deal although it is a change in mindset but if we start to use the cloud for these things then it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ Thanks Over - the subs option for 5 devices looks like a good deal although it is a change in mindset but if we start to use the cloud for these things then it makes sense.
    Right, and they are making a clear shift by dropping "Family Pack" support, and from the information I'm getting from the Horse they won't ship as DVDs anymore at all. If you want a DVD you can order a backup from them. Im not sure if they will even have the ability to burn one yourself.

Basically it will break down thus and details may change before launch some time next year:

-The non-365 suites will be the same as the current suites (Home and Student, Home and Business, Professional), tailored for 1 user on 1 PC. They will be downloads only, and once activated on a PC they become tied to that PC. The License is non-transferable. The software never gets improvements/feature updates like 365 will, but at the same time they don't require a subscription and will last for the lifetime of the computer.

-each 365 edition will have Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Publisher, and Access. Your Skydrive space also gets a bump from 7GB to over 20GB, and you get the aforementioned 60 Skype World mins/mo. You will also get Office on Demand - the ability to "stream" an office program to any PC or Mac you happen to be logged in to, using your Live account (Publisher, Access, OneNote aren't on Mac). 365 will also of course get perpetual updates to their functionality over time, beyond regular security updates, etc.

-365 Home Premium: 5 Devices (PC, Mac, Mobile/Tablet) for any number of users in a household. Non commercial use. Approx. $99/yr per 5 Device/Household License.

-365 University: 2 Devices, for 1 user. 4 Year subscription for $99. Must be third level student or faculty, non-commercial use. With this, they are also dropping the University suite, meaning there will be no "University 2013" - only University 365.

-365 Small Business: 5 Devices Per User. Annual subscription per user. Hosted Outlook cloud inboxes. Company-centric cloud drive storage services. etc. - More about current pricing is here for business tiers: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/compare-plans.aspx

I'm pretty sure with 365 Home Premium that whichever Live Account activates it, administrates it. So that account has to install it on each of 5 devices, but then anyone on that device can access the programs. I wager only the admin will be able to use Office on Demand. Whereas with Small Business, each user controls their own access to 5 devices, and office on demand. 365 Small Business is actually priced lower than Home Premium for a single user, apparently, but you'd probably have to purchase it with some eligibility restrictions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement