Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman new 52

Options
  • 04-12-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Any chance someone could explain this??. I'd been reading all the collections by grant Morrison.. The return of bruce wayne etc. Just bought batman detective comics the new 52 volume one. I feel I've missed loads??? When is this set. Really confused? Also there must be a definitive chronology of the graphic novels/ collections. I don't buy monthlies etc

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

New 52 Batman is a reboot - so the series has started over completely from scratch. There's yet-to-be-explained backstory, but most of the stuff that went before has gone out the window. Morrison's Batman is a separate thing altogether, and wraps up with Batman R.I.P. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Ok think I get it now. So this is like an Earth 1/2 thing. A new age of Batman. Right not sure how I feel about that but I'll give it a go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

tony stark wrote: »
    Also there must be a definitive chronology of the graphic novels/ collections. I don't buy monthlies etc

I found here useful for that

Yeah that's a very good one. Pity there isn't an up to date one with morrisons stuff and the new 52 etc and previews of new releases of collections. Can't understand why dc don't do it themselves up online. If anyone finds one throw it up. I'll keep searching myself and thanks for this help so far

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the confusing thing about the new Batman is they changed him without changing him. So while all of DC was rebooted, he and the family seemed to continue as normal with Damien, Tim, Dick and Barbara and Batman Inc. But as the series goes on we find out changes to their past.

Actually, I think a thread to discuss the new 52 changes would be a good idea to try and find who's who and where they are. Would come in handy especially for those who are looking for someone but not sure what series they appear in or if they've disappeared for now(like Wally, Donna, Cassandra Cain and Stephanie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the confusing thing about the new Batman is they changed him without changing him. So while all of DC was rebooted, he and the family seemed to continue as normal with Damien, Tim, Dick and Barbara and Batman Inc. But as the series goes on we find out changes to their past.

Actually, I think a thread to discuss the new 52 changes would be a good idea to try and find who's who and where they are. Would come in handy especially for those who are looking for someone but not sure what series they appear in or if they've disappeared for now(like Wally, Donna, Cassandra Cain and Stephanie)

Yeah agreed, there's been a fair few unexplained changes to the universe.

I was never big into DC, I used the new 52 as a jump-on point, but there's still stuff from the old universe that I miss, Secret Six is a loss etc.

To the OP, based on my reading, I don't think any of the other writers have picked up on Morrison's threads. i think your best bet is to look at Batman Inc, which continues Morrison's story.

I'd ignore Detective Comics in the new 52, but I do recomend Scott Snyder's Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's more of a pain than with the rest, they've said to treat everything as if it's a direct continuation until they say otherwise.

Tim
    Like the fact that Tim was never robin but started out as red robin, no mention in any comic until it was stated in a panel but I think it's been stated in the actual comic now.

Cassandra
    Going by the recent nightwing there might not be a Cassandra Cain

Yeah not sold 100% on new detective comics. Will go for other Batman titles. I only buy the collected editions so it's a bit harder to keep abreast of continuity sometimes. When you're picking them out in shop it's hard to figure out which ones next. Have most of the grant morrison etc but not sure if I have the last collection before this reboot. Is it Batman inc that was last out before new 52?. Would love to just get to grips with Batman continuity lately. Why did they decide to reboot anyway????

tony stark wrote: »
    Yeah not sold 100% on new detective comics. Will go for other Batman titles. I only buy the collected editions so it's a bit harder to keep abreast of continuity sometimes. When you're picking them out in shop it's hard to figure out which ones next. Have most of the grant morrison etc but not sure if I have the last collection before this reboot. Is it Batman inc that was last out before new 52?. Would love to just get to grips with Batman continuity lately. Why did they decide to reboot anyway????

Batman Inc is kind of outside continuity, which is kind of a good thing and kind of a bad thing (cause it makes matters confusing).

Not sure why they did the reset tbh

Varik wrote: »
    Tim
    Like the fact that Tim was never robin but started out as red robin, no mention in any comic until it was stated in a panel but I think it's been stated in the actual comic now.
    Argh, Tim followed by "Spoiler". Steph, where are you? But as for Tim
    In Batman and Robin, Damien wanted to fight him, Dick and Jason to prove he was the better Robin since they were all previous Robins
    steve_r wrote: »
    Batman Inc is kind of outside continuity, which is kind of a good thing and kind of a bad thing (cause it makes matters confusing).

Not sure why they did the reset tbh

Batman Inc is in continuity because
    Batman gave it as a possible reason for Joker kidnapping Alfred since Bruce was now publicly backing Batman and Batman Inc.
    But the Morrison pre New 52 Batman Inc was finished up by a special or Annual after the reboot and now it's part of the New 52 but still continuing the Leviathan storyline. hope that makes sense.

The Reboot was probably done due to the running out of ideas for a lot of their main characters. I think Superman was completely out of ideas and their best output was from the likes of Secret 6.
    Also they wanted to cash in on the new audience built from the Marvel and DC movies and tv series and figured people would be more willing to jump on at the beginning rather than issue 705.
    Though there have been hints to the existence of the old universe and it wouldn't surprise me if at some point they do a Crisis that merges them and then they go back to old numbering for their longer running series.

• Advertisement

Good stuff castor troy and all else. It's beginning to make sense now. Only got back into my comics again in September after a long time. 2000 ad and Batman are my main ones. 2000ad is so easy to slip back into the way they have their colkections in perfect order!!! Dc take note. Mind you dc is massive I suppose... Still though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Argh, Tim followed by "Spoiler". Steph, where are you? But as for Tim
    In Batman and Robin, Damien wanted to fight him, Dick and Jason to prove he was the better Robin since they were all previous Robins
    Two of them were robins, saying that he wanted to show that he was the robin does not mean all were. It's could have been to show that he was the best heir since he's also the youngest whether he's Bruce's son or not.

It was said at San Diego Comic-Con.

Varik wrote: »
    Two of them were robins, saying that he wanted to show that he was the robin does not mean all were. It's could have been to show that he was the best heir since he's also the youngest whether he's Bruce's son or not.

It was said at San Diego Comic-Con.

Spoilers for Tim Drake New 52 ahead if you're planning on reading.

In that case either someone made a mistake in Issue 10 of Batman and Robin or they were referring to Tim as Red Robin when Bruce had lines to the 4 of them like
    As Robins, you've all had your strengths and weaknesses
    But you've all honored your time as Robin
    And when Damien is warning them he was going to fight them and beat them it was to prove, to quote Damien,
    That I am the best Robin

But that's what made me believe he was Robin.

But now looking back at Teen Titans 0, it introduces Red Robin with him being given the Robin uniform, Bruce saying welcome aboard Robin, only for Tim to call himself Red Robin. So he just assumed the red Robin name instead of going by Robin.

This is one of my main gripes about the new 52, it's not that I care about continuity but the backstory is a huge part of who Tim Drake is.

Other characters are in the same boat - Stephanie Brown doesn't even exist!

I get the attraction of having a shiny clean universe for people to jump on, but it looks to me like other characters have suffered.

War Rocket Ajax podcast and IGN Assemble podcast have looked at this in far more detail than I ever could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

DC should have went all or nothing with the DCNU reboot. They should have given everything a hard reboot. Not a hard reboot to most but the Bat books and GL got a soft reboot [aka most of the events {ie Blackest Night for GL}is still intact] Are they really that surprised that there's continuity issues?

I still haven't figured out what changed for GL. I mean there may be slight changes but his origin story changes every second week anyway. as you said the Blackest Night stuff is still intact. The first issue of the Justice League introduced Hal to the league and all. So how do they explain the 4 lanterns being active now?

Advertisement