Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test/ODI match grounds I've visited

Options
  • 03-12-2012 11:01pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought it might be fun to see who's been where. For me:
    1. Lord's - a test match, an Ireland game and a fair bit of county cricket
    2. The Oval - a washed-out Ireland game, and a county T20 game
    3. Trent Bridge - Ireland v Bangladesh in the World T20 in 2009(?)
    4. Old Trafford - Aus v WI in the 1996 World Cup, Eng v India in an ODI, also in 1996
    5. Sabina Park - Ire v Zim, Ire v Pak in the 2007 World Cup. What a trip.
    6. Newlands, Cape Town - a bit of a stretch, as I didn't see a game, just did the tour
    7. Clontarf - tons of games
    8. Observatory Lane - a few Ireland games
    9. Stormont - a few Ireland games

Planning to go see the SCG and MCG in January when on honeymoon.

Who's been where?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Only 2.

Lords.
    In 1987 as a youngster to see Northant's lose a one-day final by losing more wickets than Yorkshire (I think agonisingly it was only 1 or 2 wickets). Wasn't that bothered about it at the time, more worried about getting home with my Dad and brother who were worse for wear!

County Ground, Wantage Road.
    Numerous county games and South Africa v Sri Lanka in the 99 World Cup. Didn't get to see the "shock" (and definitely not a fix?!!?;)) result when Bangladesh beat Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

What a great thread...... Brings back some great memories:)

6 grounds for me.......Here goes

1. Madras Chepauk (MAC Stadium)
    Ind v WI Test 1979 ....my first match as an 8 year old...went with my Dad....still remember Venkatraghavan bowling Kallicharan for 98!
    Ind v Pak Test 1980......Kapil Dev in his hey day
    Ind v WI Test 1983......Sunny Gavaskar 236
    Ind v Eng Test 1984......Gatting and Fowler double centuries as England come back to win the series 2-1
    Ind v Aus World Cup 1987 group match....Australia win by 1 run despite some towering sixes by Sidhu!

2. The Oval
    Eng v India ODI 1996...No result

3. Stormont
    Ireland v India 2007 , Ireland v South Africa 2007
    Ireland v Australia 2012.....washed out:(

4. Eden Gardens Calcutta
    IPL 2010......KKR v CSK

5. Chinnasamy Stadium Bangalore
    IPL 2010......RCB v CSK......what an atmosphere that was!!:)

6. Lords
    Eng v Ind test Day 4 2011

Would love to go to the MCG and Capetown for a test match sometime and Dharamsala in the foothills of the Himalayas for an IPL match:)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Good thread - if nothing else the chance to reminisce.

1. The Oval - England vs South Africa 2003. 5th day, and looked like it was only going to be one session. Perfect for taking my 12 month old son. Big 5th day crowd, Trescothick smashed the ball around the ground, and my son played around in fag ends and beer glasses

2. Edgbaston. England vs West Indies ODI 1991. Still the classic Windies team, and England snuck home by 1 wicket. Can't remember too much as was my 18th!
    and England vs West Indies last season. On a stag last year. Cold, drab, dreary and a raging hang over

3. Clontarf. Forget which ones were official ODI's and which weren't. For starters anyway, the World Cup match in May 1999 - West Indies vs Bangladesh. Cold, drab, dreary and left in an ambulance

4. Bridgetown. Australia vs Sri Lanka World Cup Final 2007 (Took a punt on Ireland getting to the final (no not really)). Asked the hotel how long it would take to the ground. They thought maybe an hour, and we wanted to get there early, so left the hotel a couple of hours before the start. The taxi took five minutes, and then the game was delayed by several hours. To cut a long story short nothing to do but drink and party. To be honest I can't remember too much about the denouement in the dark at the end of that game.

And that's it. Plenty of other grounds though for county cricket - Bristol, Taunton, Cheltenham, Worcester, Old Trafford - but never Lords, and really need to travel a bit more

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1. Headingley, numerous times
    2. Old Trafford, again numerous times, including Dominic Cork's hat-trick against the WI back in 1995
    3. Emirates - England v Australia ODI this year
    4. The MCG - Australia v England ODI last year
    5. Stormont - a few ODIs
    6. Lords, to watch Archery in the Olympics
    7. Bramhall Lane, Sheffield (although this was over 80 years after they played the one and only test match there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Beasty wrote: »
    7. Bramhall Lane, Sheffield (although this was over 80 years after they played the one and only test match there!)

its actually Bramall Lane. Being a Sheffield United fan Im very pernickity about that :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And I had always assumed it was a lane heading towards Bramhall ...

Weird - I've been harbouring under that misapprehension since it was regularly used as a cricket ground ...:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Only two for me too..

1. Newlands. Nothing can beat it. It's also a home fortress so it's a happy place to be :P

2. Lord's.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

SCG 2007 England vs Australia T20
    Sabina Park 2007 for all group games
    Edgbaston several times over the years, my brother only lives a mile or so from the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

1. The Oval
    England v South Africa 2012, day 1
    England v South Africa 2008, ODI
    The Ashes 2009, 5th Test, days 1-3

2. Clontarf
    Ireland v Afghanistan 2012, ODI

The grounds I really want to go to in the future are Lord's, MCG and the WACA. One of my dream matches is a Boxing Day test at the MCG - it looks amazing.

I think I'm attracted to the Australian grounds so much because the weather always looks so good when I'm watching in winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian_D

England - Trent Bridge, Lords, The Oval, Headingly, Rose Bowl, Edgbaston, Old Trafford, Chester le Street

Ireland - Stormont, Clontarf

India - Chinnaswamy Stadium (Bangalore), Punjab Cricket Assoc Stadium (Mohali/Chandigarh), Eden Gardens (Calcutta)

Sri Lanka - R. Premadasa (Colombo)

New Zealand - Basin Reserve (Wellington) , McLean Park (Napier) Seddan Park (Hamilton)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

England: Northlands Rd (Hants old ground), Rose Bowl (Hants new ground), the Oval (and a tour of Lords - if that counts).

South Africa: Wanderers, Centurion, Benoni

Ireland: Clontarf, Rathmines

Quite jealous of the people who have been to Newlands. Closest I came was when I was on holiday in Cape Town and (by chance) the World T20 was on. Watched England get beaten by SA in the Forrester's Arms just down the road, great night with the locals afterwards.

Advertisement