Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Thailand

• 03-12-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am a newly qualified maths teacher currently employed in Ireland. Although I would like to teach English abroad in Thailand. I have an undergraduate degree and a PDE/HDip. I would like to acquire the TEFL.

Now there is an internship beginning in April for 6 months but it is very expensive. http://www.teflireland.com/teaching-internships/thailand/

Is it worth my time to do the TEFL online and then travel to Thailand independently for work or should I do it through this TEFL internship?

Or is there any other options?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Why don't you do the CELTA with IH in Bangkok and then look for work while over there?
    http://www.ihbangkok.com/page/39-international_house_bangkok_prestigious_english_school_in_bangkok_celta_delta_thailand.html

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Is it English that you specifically want to teach? With your qualifications you would easily be able to pick up a Maths job in one of the International schools. The pay is generally a lot better than teaching ESL and working conditions much better. There are plenty of International schools in Bangkok, as well as others scattered throughout Thailand. Being a newly qualified teacher, you will be appealing as they will be able to put you on the bottom of their pay scales. This will still mean that you will earn more money, get health insurance etc than you would if you did ESL. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and you will have a fantastic time in Thailand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marryn2

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to travel to Asia to teach. I have a degree in genetics and cell biology. Will I be able to get a job with no teaching experience?

Cheers in advance,

Nick

Advertisement