Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Permanent Chelsea Manager

Options
  • 03-12-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭

Looked up odds there today...is there something wrong with Steve Clarke that he's rated such an outsider??

Looking at value here for a sec, and add in reality:

Steve Clarke is British
    Steve Clarke is an ex-Chelsea player
    Steve Clarke is an ex-Chelsea assistant manager
    Steve Clarke is managing a club playing good football, in the top 4 of the league right now, above Chelsea

And...earlier on today Steve Clarke was 200 on betfair (199/1) for the job (later this afternoon I checked and he was 130, can't check on my phone right now but that's 129/1 as recent as 2hrs ago.

Now I'm not suggesting for a second that he's nearly the most likely man, but is he really 100+/1 outside?

There's shorter odds on Dennis Wise, Paolo di Canio or Dan Petescru being appointed. Doesn't that seem wrong?

What am I missing? Assuming Clarke goes on for a solid top-half finish with WBA, and Rafa not doing well enough to be permanent, I honestly could see Steve Clarke being a top-5 contender for it, at least in the bookies.

The question is would his odds shorten enough to make a speculative punt right now worthwhile?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

I personally can't see Abramovich hiring a journeyman manager

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DB74 wrote: »

This, really.

Roman loves the bigger names. He only gave RDM a chance cause he was already installed as the number two. The next full time manager is going to be a "big" name...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

DB74 wrote: »

Hardly call him a journeyman manager in his first managerial position

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Every journey starts with one step!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Football Gambler

I have to agree with most of the above replies, Roman will want a big name from Europe in my opinion.......

Not sure if I'm correct here, but has he ever employed a British/Irish manager in his time at Chelsea? I can't remember one, and I can't see him doing it any time soon.

I can see the logic in Steve Clarke, just can't see RA thinking along those lines though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Jurgen Klopp IMO. He'll try for Guardiola and won't get him and then he'll look around Europe and see Dortmund are the current flavour of the month and go for their man. Then he'll sack him after 6-9 months because he doesn't win very single game straight away, a la AVB. Rinse, repeat.

Advertisement