Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness

Options
  • 03-12-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So how bad was yours!
    I've never been pregnant but just seeing Kate Middleton is in hospital for it! Am trying tho
    Something to look forward to??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Other posters will hate me for this but....
    I wasn't sick or barely even queasy for one day of my pregnancy. Having said that, I'm 26 weeks now and my back is killing me so I guess most people will suffer somewhere along the line.

I feel for Kate Midleton feeling obliged to tell the public when she isn't even 12 weeks pregnant.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Never got sick, though I felt queasy once. But to be honest, I think the manky perfume on that bus passenger would have made me queasy, pregnant or not.

I feel it for the couple too - As a royal couple they get feck all privacy as it is and now you have gimps wittering on sky about it from now until the baby comes - family tree, speculation on baby names, succession rules, bookies taking bets, royal correspondents talking shoite, mugs, tshirts etc. Now its a circus.:(

We never announced my pregnancy until 14 weeks and it was so lovely as a couple having this amazing secret to ourselves - little looks across the room at each other and all that. While it was lovely letting the families know too, we both remember that time as being very special and private.

Thats why I pity William and Catherine, they had no option but to say it once she was admitted to hospital. At the end of the day they are just excited first time parents to be and are missing out on the private time.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I feel sorry for her. I didn't have hyperemesis but I vomited A LOT!! and had nausea pretty much all day from week 5 to week 11. It was horrible, puking out the car door in Tesco car park, in plastic bags while driving to work, in the bin in my office at work. I had to take time off work due to it but couldn't take too long as I didn't want anyone wondering what was going on. I hate nausea so I found it totally miserable. But then it just stopped. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had hyperemesis for most of my 1 st pregnancy, it is not pleasant!
    My 2nd I was nauseous a lot and sick a lot but nothing compared to the 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I feel so bad for her. Dealing with hyperemesis is horrendous let alone without having the whole world talking about you. And people do not understand: they keep saying sure I was very sick you should eat gingernuts/use accupuncture bands etc. I couldn't hold down sips of water each time I was hospitalised let alone eat a ginger nut. Or a cracker :rolleyes:

I had hyperemesis quite severly until about 16 weeks it abated a bit until 21 weeks and I had "morning sickness" right up until I gave birth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Its horrific. Mine has just lifted in the last three days and I can honestly say the 6/7 weeks I was ill were the worst few weeks of my life. It's like the worst hangover you've ever had but every day and you don't get to go out and have any fun to get the hangover. Plus, you have to pretend you're fine because you're not telling people you're pregnant. I wasn't eating much but still vomiting every 30 minutes and anything I did eat came up. I also felt really helpless because you don't see the hospital until 12 weeks and I felt on my own with it. Normally if you're sick you can do stuff to get better but you just have to wait morning sickness out.

I feel like a new person, just since Friday afternoon and it's made me realise how sick and miserable I was. I know I wasn't even the worst women could be so I feel awful for women who are hospitalised.

My mum had awful morning sickness too and says she doesn't really remember labour, it was grand but 30 years later she can vividly recall how sick she was and how horrible she felt. Hopefully that'll be me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I feel so sorry for her having to announce so early. Their lives really are not their own!! The pressure she must be feeling is say is insane... Your first pregnancy is a scarey enough time without having the eyes of the world on you.

I had nausea all day with a serious amount of gagging and a bit of vomiting in the morning. Body settled into a routine around 11 weeks of vomiting once I get up in the morning and then I'm fine for the rest of the day bar heartburn from hell. I'm 21 weeks now and still the same! Completely manageable though, just feel rough for the first few mins of the day :)

It amazes me how pregnancy affects each person differently. Nothing is textbook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hey, i haven't gotten sick yet, but i do feel quite nauseous a lot.. sometimes it gets bad enough that i think i'm going to be sick, but i just try and breathe it off. i read somewhere that you ususally get MS by week 6 and it eases off around week 10-12.. i know everyone is different though. For me, I know when I conceived, and it will be 6 weeks on saturday, but according to the doc, i will be nine weeks on sunday, so do you think i still have a chance of getting MS or is the time for it passed?

loubian wrote: »
    Hey, i haven't gotten sick yet, but i do feel quite nauseous a lot.. sometimes it gets bad enough that i think i'm going to be sick, but i just try and breathe it off. i read somewhere that you ususally get MS by week 6 and it eases off around week 10-12.. i know everyone is different though. For me, I know when I conceived, and it will be 6 weeks on saturday, but according to the doc, i will be nine weeks on sunday, so do you think i still have a chance of getting MS or is the time for it passed?

With saying how many weeks pregnant you are you always count from the first day of your last period - so in actual fact you say you're two weeks further along then you are. So if you conceived 6 weeks ago you're 8 weeks pregnant. So I'm 12 weeks pregnant but the baby is 10 weeks old. I never knew that before getting pregnant, it's quite weird!

Mine kicked in at 6 weeks (i.e. 4 weeks after conception) so maybe you will get away with just being nauseous. Some women are just nauseous for a few weeks (which is unpleasant enough) but don't vomit. You might be lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Yeh, i kind of got that after looking up pregnancy week by week on whattoexpect! and they say for first2-3 weeks nothing is really happening! it's so strange! that's lucky i guess, that i seem to have not got it! the nausea can be quite bad, but it's a good thing if that's the worst of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I've been in hospital twice now for sickness so far.
    No sign of it easing up at all.
    It's horrible really, the way I feel at the moment I can see this being my last pregnancy. I honestly don't know if I could face this again.
    It's twenty to two in the morning, I should be asleep but I'm up waiting to puke again.
    Most nights I wake up with bad nausea or getting sick, as well as during the day. I don't get a break from it at all. I suppose the broken sleep will prepare me for the night feeds but I can honestly say I'd murder someone for a decent sleep & to keep food down.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I had the dreaded MS from about week 7-11 and i taught i would never get through it, i was sick about 3-4 times a day, the worst for me was feeling nauseous all day every day. I could deal with getting sick but the feeling sick was really draining me. Up to week 18 i was still sick maybe once or twice a week some weeks i was lucky and wasn't sick at all but the nauseousness was gone by week 11. Im at week 24 now and im feeling great have my off days but generally feeling well. I really feel for you ladies that have it really bad, when i think back, i taught my world was gonna end and i was thinking im never putting myself through this again but when i look back it seems mine was only minor compare to what some of ya have been through.

Girl in the striped socks - i hope it eases for you and you get some decent nights sleep before the baby arrives xxx

I felt the same - that it was never going to end and I wasn't going to get through it, that I just wasn't able for it. I kept thinking can someone just put me out of my misery please. I tried to be positive because I know loads of women who struggle to conceive would happily take the sickness to be pregnant but it's so hard when the sickness just takes over everything and changes your whole outlook.

What I found frustrating, especially when dealing with work is that some people think 'sure all pregnant women get sick' and don't seem to understand how debilitating it is for some people and much it varies among women.

girlinthestripedsocks - I really hope it eases for you soon. I just woke up one day last week and thought, 'I could really go for eating a proper lunch today' and I did and was fine, whereas the previous day I was so bad I had to vomit in the bin in my office :o Since then I've still been getting sick once or twice a day but the awful cloud has lifted and I can eat food again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I've been in hospital twice now for sickness so far.
    No sign of it easing up at all.
    It's horrible really, the way I feel at the moment I can see this being my last pregnancy. I honestly don't know if I could face this again.
    It's twenty to two in the morning, I should be asleep but I'm up waiting to puke again.
    Most nights I wake up with bad nausea or getting sick, as well as during the day. I don't get a break from it at all. I suppose the broken sleep will prepare me for the night feeds but I can honestly say I'd murder someone for a decent sleep & to keep food down.

I know you are probably sick of people saying it to you, but when you get your little babs in your arms it's not that you will forget but you will be so happy that the pain of hospital and sickness does fade. I never bought into the whole forgetting it thing because my babs is 5 months now and I got sick one night and I swear I bawled for an hour I was so upset! But this time last year I was in hospital on a drip and this year I have my little girl and that makes it all worthwhile :) helpher.org has loads of info and different ideas on foods etc to try... for me it was salt and vinegar taytos and mint crisp bars that I would start to eat each time I got out of hospital.

Also I swore the entire time I was pregnant I would never have another one: and I would in the morning. I thought anyone saying that to me when I was pregnant that I was mad... just focus on you and babs.

Also (and I feel awful for saying this) not that I'm glad she has bloody hyperemesis but the fact that someone high profile has it means that other people might be more understanding in the future. The amount of people who said to me that they were as sick as I was drove me cracked! It made me feel like I was being " weak" and not doing enough for my baby by having to go into hospital. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Vomiting, constant nausea, vomited blood, burst a blood vessel in my eyes more than once, migraines, nose bleeds, a very weak pelvic floor from the vomiting 20 + times some days, bruises from my hands to my elbows from veins collapsing because I was so dehydrated. I couldn't drive because I was so weak. I got kidney infections because I couldn't drink enough water. I pulled muscles in my side. By the time I was 14 weeks I'd spent 22 days in hospital. Also everyone knowing so early (pretty impossible to hide when your in and out of hospital) really upset me too.

And I'd still do it all again in the morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Anyone try tannis root?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Ladies, I have to ask, how did ye / are ye coping with work? Last week I had to take wed and thurs off because the nausea and vomiting was so bad, I went in Friday but only lasted an hour as I physically threw up 4 times in that space. Had to tell my boss what was going on but my co-workers dont know yet. Thing is, Im in an open plan office flanked by 4 people. The nearest bathroom is a good sprint away so thoughts of vomiting into my bin has me in the horrors! Im only 7 weeks tomorrow. Dont know how Im gonna manage... :-(

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Ladies, I have to ask, how did ye / are ye coping with work? Last week I had to take wed and thurs off because the nausea and vomiting was so bad, I went in Friday but only lasted an hour as I physically threw up 4 times in that space. Had to tell my boss what was going on but my co-workers dont know yet. Thing is, Im in an open plan office flanked by 4 people. The nearest bathroom is a good sprint away so thoughts of vomiting into my bin has me in the horrors! Im only 7 weeks tomorrow. Dont know how Im gonna manage... :-(

Tbh, I don't know how I coped with work. In hindsight, I shouldn't have been there but I was. I just took each day as it came and spent a lot of time in the toilets getting sick. I also went to bed every day as soon as I came home from work, so my life was work, puking and sleeping for 3 months. Luckily, I'm in my own office and had long periods of the days where I was on my own so that helped a lot. I think it depends a lot on your situation. I drive to work and am able to sleep in my car at lunchtime and puke in privacy. I took extra long lunches to give myself some respite, again I am in a position where that isn't really noticed.

Hopefully you won't be sick for much longer, I was told it lifted at 12/13 weeks and the thought of that kept me going. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and mine has only just eased (but not disappeared completely), Earlier in this thread I said it had lifted at 11 weeks but that only lasted 3 days and then it came back.

Could you tell your colleagues? I told one or two other people at work before the 12 weeks (one because she walked in on my sobbing in my office!). That was a big help because they looked after me a bit and covered for me as well when I needed too. When I was 12 weeks and told everyone it was even better, if people saw me rushing to the loo they used to bring water and things into me and kept an eye out for me.

I can honestly say the last 3 months have been the worst of my life. I'm only realising now that I'm starting to feel better how ill I was and debilitating I found the whole thing. You have my complete sympathies, it's just awful. I only took 3 sick days throughout the three months but my GP was very willing to give me med certs so that is always an option. No remedies worked for me and nothing helped with the sickness so I just spent three months vomiting every 30 minutes or so - ended up in hospital twice and lost about 16lbs in weight. My advice is to keep an eye on your fluid intake and make sure you are not getting dehydrated. Look after yourself, I know how horrible it is!

Oh MW I so feel for you, you've had an awful time of it really. Lucky your co-workers are so understanding. Most of my colleagues are men, but some are fathers so no doubt they'll get it. I really didnt want to have to tell people so soon, even my own family dont know! But if needs must, then so be it.

Im glad to hear you're feeling better, its nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel, however long that may be... Still, cant believe you only took 3 days sick leave! Fair play.

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Oh MW I so feel for you, you've had an awful time of it really. Lucky your co-workers are so understanding. Most of my colleagues are men, but some are fathers so no doubt they'll get it. I really didnt want to have to tell people so soon, even my own family dont know! But if needs must, then so be it.

Im glad to hear you're feeling better, its nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel, however long that may be... Still, cant believe you only took 3 days sick leave! Fair play.

I didn't want to tell people either but it was pretty hard to hide, tbh. It's another one of the many things about MS that sucks! If you feel comfortable telling your colleagues how sick you are it might help, I did find though that some people didn't seem to realise there was varying degrees of how sick you could be and they seemed to think all women were a bit nauseous, not realising how bad it can get for some people. If your colleagues are understanding it will be a big help, they can cover for you for a bit and pick up the slack - and be more mindful that some smells etc might set you off!

It will all be worth it in the end, for both of us :)

Well unfortunately Im the only one who can do my job so there's no chance of cover but I my boss did seem open to my suggestion of working from home on bad days so thats one option at least. I dont want to go out on med certs as I dont get paid for extended sick leave and right now every penny counts! Im not expecting to get maternity pay either so gotta save the bobs while I can.

Its looking I'll have to tell colleagues, on Friday they were thinking I had the vomiting bug and were afraid I'd pass it on. Besides, they dads are bobs to put 2+2 together so I may as well come clean...

Damn you morning sickness!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement