Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 8 Security

Options
  • 03-12-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got my new Win 8 machine today and just getting used to it/setting it up.

My first little challenge relates to security. On my current Win 7 machine I use Microsoft Security Essentials and supplement that by running CCleaner and Malware Bytes every few weeks.

My Win 8 machine comes with a trial of Norton Anti Virus pre-installed. Do I really need a 3rd party security app like Norton or can/should I uninstall Norton and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead + Malware Bytes and CCleaner which have stood me in good stead for so long?

Cheers

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Window 8 has MSE built into it, only it's called Windows Defender. I'd get rid of Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Window 8 has MSE built into it, only it's called Windows Defender. I'd get rid of Norton.
    probably worth noting that mse tested worst in independent tests recently and has lost its AV certificate as a result. Not sure if win8 uses same one though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Avast runs well on 8, the free version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

so does that mean MSE is pretty much useless now? i had it on windows 7 and have defender now in windows 8

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I use Webroot myself, of all the AVs I've tried its by far the spiffiest. uses <2% of my CPU and 2MB during a system scan, and a fraction of that under normal conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Is Windows Defender in Windows 8 a full anti virus? Do you need Malwarebytes for instance?

200motels wrote: »
    Is Windows Defender in Windows 8 a full anti virus? Do you need Malwarebytes for instance?

It's basically MSE rebranded. I'd still use Malwarebytes irrespective of the AV as it tends to get stuff that the AVs miss.

Karsini wrote: »
    It's basically MSE rebranded. I'd still use Malwarebytes irrespective of the AV as it tends to get stuff that the AVs miss.
    My malwarebytes is stoping Windows Defender from starting as I have to start it up manually, so I installed AVG free instead and I have no problems even tho I'm not a big fan of AVG it works better than Defender.

200motels wrote: »
    My malwarebytes is stoping Windows Defender from starting as I have to start it up manually, so I installed AVG free instead and I have no problems even tho I'm not a big fan of AVG it works better than Defender.

Is this the Pro version of Malwarebytes? The free version (without the realtime scanner) shouldn't affect any anti-virus. I'm really not a fan of AVG anymore, since version 8.0 I've put it in the same pile as McAfee - pure resource hog.

Karsini wrote: »
    Is this the Pro version of Malwarebytes? The free version (without the realtime scanner) shouldn't affect any anti-virus. I'm really not a fan of AVG anymore, since version 8.0 I've put it in the same pile as McAfee - pure resource hog.
    Yes the Pro version of Malwarebytes.

• Advertisement

Now my AVG won't start as I have to start it manually, so I disabled malwarebytes and it starts up fine, yet in Windows 7 I have the same setup and it runs smoothly.

Overheal wrote: »
    I use Webroot myself, of all the AVs I've tried its by far the spiffiest. uses <2% of my CPU and 2MB during a system scan, and a fraction of that under normal conditions.

Does this hog up bandwidth because, I don't have much to spare? And, is it a good AV if your a gamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guys,

Do we actually need 3rd party AV/Malware? Maybe MSE/Defender isn't the very best out there but does it stop Virus's and Malware or not? Maybe other solutions are faster/slicker or whatever but if MSE/Defender protects your machine against Virus's and Malware why would you need anything else??

#confused

Ben

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

BenThere wrote: »
    Guys,

Do we actually need 3rd party AV/Malware? Maybe MSE/Defender isn't the very best out there but does it stop Virus's and Malware or not? Maybe other solutions are faster/slicker or whatever but if MSE/Defender protects your machine against Virus's and Malware why would you need anything else??

#confused

Ben

AV software isn't really needed as much these days as it used to. Most infections in the past were worms/attachments whereas nowadays the zero day exploits that most av software won't pick up are far more common. Rather than splashing out for a super dooper do it all flashy anti virus system it would be better to keep web browsers, operating systems and plugins (Flash, Java, Quicktime, Silverlight etc.) up to date. You can even use Ninite which lets you do 3rd party updates quickly. This advice shouldn't even just be applicable to Windows these days!
    I quite like the Microsoft one as it will pick up on many viruses you may happen to come across probably, and doesn't keep nagging you to pay for pro every time it updates.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks YOYO, much appreciated.

yoyo wrote: »
    AV software isn't really needed as much these days as it used to. Most infections in the past were worms/attachments whereas nowadays the zero day exploits that most av software won't pick up are far more common. Rather than splashing out for a super dooper do it all flashy anti virus system it would be better to keep web browsers, operating systems and plugins (Flash, Java, Quicktime, Silverlight etc.) up to date. You can even use Ninite which lets you do 3rd party updates quickly. This advice shouldn't even just be applicable to Windows these days!
    I quite like the Microsoft one as it will pick up on many viruses you may happen to come across probably, and doesn't keep nagging you to pay for pro every time it updates.

Nick
    I tried both Bitdefender and Webroot over the last couple to days. What a disaster. BSOD city. I ran Memtest86 just in case it was the RAM acting up. RAM tested fine. I've gone back to MSE using a restore point. Everything is running smooth again. Keeping everything up to date and MSE will do me fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I have avast running on 8 pro 64 bit,no problems yet.

I tried both Bitdefender and Webroot over the last couple to days. What a disaster. BSOD city. I ran Memtest86 just in case it was the RAM acting up. RAM tested fine. I've gone back to MSE using a restore point. Everything is running smooth again. Keeping everything up to date and MSE will do me fine.

I got Bitdefender on special offer a few months ago, no problems with 8 (so far)..

On another note, I have spent endless hours removing viruses etc on many PCs over the past couple of years, all of them had MSE protecting them.

I tried to install bit defender and malwarebytes on the last one to get rid of the viruses, windows wouldnt let me install it.

Fixed it by format and fresh install in the end.

Your PC might be ok but might be worth installing malwarebytes and do a scan in safe mode.

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

My thinking is that these give updates after an exploit had occured, once a PC is infected it is very easy for it to be hidden. These viruses / worms / keyloggers are only small scripts of a couple of k or so, and they go into any PC thay can.

Anyways its now a big business.

The FileHippo is a nice little tool to check for updates automatically.

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My thinking is that these give updates after an exploit had occured, once a PC is infected it is very easy for it to be hidden. These viruses / worms / keyloggers are only small scripts of a couple of k or so, and they go into any PC thay can.

Anyways its now a big business.

That's true but there is as good a chance of MSE picking it up than any others.

On another note, I have spent endless hours removing viruses etc on many PCs over the past couple of years, all of them had MSE protecting them.
    I also have removed viruses and malware that had a range of protection suites on them, Symatec Norton/Endpoint, Kaspersky, McAfee, Sophos, AVG, Avast, MSE, Norman to name a few. Viper is actually a decent av if you you want to pay for one but MSE in general will suffice. No harm running an online scan with the likes of Eset now and again

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Windows Defender's UI is not as comfortable as MSE used to be. Scheduled scans have to be configured through the task scheduler. More here.

You may also find these registry tweaks helpful:

Add some of the important features of Windows Defender to the desktop right-click context menu

Add Scan With Windows Defender Option To Context Menu

The tray icon is gone for good, for quick access of the Windows Defender UI you may create a shortcut to MSASCui.exe and place it on the desktop or pin it to the start screen or task bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There is a great site that tests all the top AV products out there and reports how well they preform.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

One thing to note, Symantec/Norton is no longer tested. For the past few years it has gotten horrible results in comparison to not only the pay alternatives, but the free alternatives like Avast out preform it as well. Therefore Symantec has refused to let their product be tested/compared by any outside groups.

That right there is reason enough to steer clear of Norton/Symantec products. That and the fact they are basically a scam. You buy a new PC and it comes with Norton/Symantec FREE, but by FREE they mean you get like six months then they hit you with a huge fee if you wish to continue using their product. AVG has a free version that is not bad, but I prefer Avast as it out preforms AVG, and the full version is 100% free to all home users.

Advertisement