Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 best boxing matches that never happened.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The biggest one there has to be Lewis-Bowe. That would have been so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Maybe not in the same league but I'd have loved to have seen Herol Graham in with Chris Eubank.

Not much doubt in my mind that Bomber would've beaten him up badly. Word is that Eubank was up in Sheffield sparring and after Graham put him on his arse he vowed never to give him a shot.

Also McGuigan v Nelson would've been special.

My own personal favourite...

John "the beast" Mugabi v Tommy Hearns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Would love to have seen Duran / Aaron Pryor. Possibly as action-packed a fight as you could see, but IMO Duran's better defense and all-round smarts would be too much.

I also would love to have seen Pacman / Edwin Valero at either super-feather or lightweight. You'd have to fancy Pacman, but not alone could Valero bomb he could also throw a huge amount of punches round after round.

Salvador Sanchez / Eusebio Pedroza is one that I believe the Panamanian could well have won. I've never really got the love for Sanchez. There's no doubt he was a very good champ, but I truely believe his tragic death helped move him up quite a few notches in people's estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Tyson v Holyfield original

Vitali v Lewis promised rematch, Shamefull ducking

Collins v Jones

Briggs v Morrison

Collins v Calzaghe

Vitali v Wlad "for the right reasons"

Macklin v Duddy

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

joe louis v archie moore

• Advertisement

In the mid 80s the biggest fight I recall a clamoring for was McGuigan-Nelson at FW. I would have leant with Nelson in that one.

I cannot see past Lewis-Bowe in the early 90s as D mega fight. Two SHW, big and talented, powerful. The Olymic final of 1988 as the appetizer. It had everything to be such a hugely hyped affair. I would have leant with Bowe in that one. Bit tougher, better inside, and a faster hitter too. Very decent chin as well. The jab being the key weapon, and IMO Bowe's was that bit faster and more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I really wish that Mcguigan and fought Nelson two HOF FW would have been a great fight that i cant honestly pick a winner one of the fights i reckon would have to have happened otherwise i dont see how you can say who wins both are top class, I would also have loved to have seen Mayweather against Kostya Tszyu i would fancy Floyd but a prime Tszyu was a beast and had such serious power deffinetly one of the all time LW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

cowzerp wrote: »

Vitali v Lewis promised rematch, Shamefull ducking

Collins v Jones

Briggs v Morrison

Collins v Calzaghe

Vitali v Wlad "for the right reasons"

Macklin v Duddy
    Lewis was as good as retired before the vitali fight and would have been 40 for the rematch, hardly shameful reason to call it a day. PBF running away from pac or RJJ avoiding michalczweski, now they are shameful

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Lewis was as good as retired before the vitali fight and would have been 40 for the rematch, hardly shameful reason to call it a day. PBF running away from pac or RJJ avoiding michalczweski, now they are shameful
    To be far do you honestly see michalzweski beating RJJ i mean michaelczweski was a good fighter but RJJ is easily the best fighter of his generation

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

Purely for spectacle it's a crying shame Hatton never fought Katsidis a few years back.

• Advertisement

Purely for spectacle it's a crying shame Hatton never fought Katsidis a few years back.
    Yeah or imagine Gatti or Ward vs Hatton would have been some scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The most obvious one that springs to my mind immediately is Ali-Foreman 2. I know Foreman was broken after the first fight but IF he had been mentally stronger and could have roused himself to train hard again, that would be the great hypothetical re-match. Obviously, Ali would be favourite but, with his knowledge of how the first fight went, could Foreman pace himself better, control his aggression and either win on points or knock Ali out? What a tantalising prospect!
    Anyhoo, I don't think it's going to happen now ......

byronbay2 wrote: »
    The most obvious one that springs to my mind immediately is Ali-Foreman 2. I know Foreman was broken after the first fight but IF he had been mentally stronger and could have roused himself to train hard again, that would be the great hypothetical re-match. Obviously, Ali would be favourite but, with his knowledge of how the first fight went, could Foreman pace himself better, control his aggression and either win on points or knock Ali out? What a tantalising prospect!
    Anyhoo, I don't think it's going to happen now ......

Personally I don't think Foreman knocks Ali out in say 1975 or 1976. Yes, he could pace himself and box a lot more clever, BUT, that is where he may well be outboxed easier. George needs to pressure a foe. He could apply easier and steadier pressuer, but what if he gets it wrong? It has to be perfection to beat Ali. He stands off too much and he loses. He applies too much pressure and Ali uses that against him. Foreman was quite a loopy and telegraphed hitter.

Lewis was as good as retired before the vitali fight and would have been 40 for the rematch, hardly shameful reason to call it a day.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

1st off he offered the rematch and retired because he knew Vitali would beat him, 2ndly, he was far better than when he was 30, he was brutal then.

And Manny avoided Mayweather at least as much as the other way round, In fact i would say more.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

1st off he offered the rematch and retired because he knew Vitali would beat him, 2ndly, he was far better than when he was 30, he was brutal then.

And Manny avoided Mayweather at least as much as the other way round, In fact i would say more.
    I think the Floyd and Manny fight is a shame simply because it would have been such a massive event the likes of which boxing hasnt had for years way bigger then mayweather DLH with regards to the fight itself i honestly belive mayweather wins a wide UD Pac will cause problems but remember Pac struggles against counter punchers just look at the Marquez fights, Floyd has one of the best defenses of all time and i honestly belive he counters Manny all night long

The Floyd-Manny fight in 2009/2010 would have been the biggest hyped fight of all time. With all the media and technology and recognition, added to the fact that both men are global sports figures would have made for such a mega event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Manny signing up with Bob Arum again showed that he never really fancied the Floyd bout.

Don't get me wrong, Floyd has done himself no favours either.

If Arum was the main obstacle, Manny would have broken away when he had the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Wut. Mayweather has pretty much stated he avoided the Pacquiao fight because his health is a priority, i.e. he was scared of getting a beatdown. Straight from the horse's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

To be far do you honestly see michalzweski beating RJJ i mean michaelczweski was a good fighter but RJJ is easily the best fighter of his generation
    Michalczewski would have been in Roy's face all night, he had power, workrate and a chin. Plus he had the titles until he was stripped and RJJ won them. The decent thing would have been to offer him a chance to win them back. RJJ might have beaten him but he would have had a hell of a tough night.

He might have been better at 35 than he was at 30 but he most certainly would not have been better at 40. And Manny didn't avoid Floyd, he just refused to let him dictate terms. When he agreed to terms but set a deadline Floyd turned and ran faster than you could say "Stop hittin your missus"

• Advertisement

Nobody knows Lennox's peak because when he was at his "physical peak" (early 90s) he could be reckless and careless and sloppy. He matured, and he gained valuable experience and patience. From my watching Lennox I just cannot say that in 2002 he was near peak. I would say he was peak in the mid to late 90s.

I still think Vitali gives him hell at an stage of his career. Vitali is trouble for anyone.

As for Floyd and Manny. It all started with drugs allegations from Floyd. That was D main obstacle. Everything else just followed (smoke and mirrors). Floyd must have feared something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Bernard Dunne / Rendall Munroe was a recent one involving an Irish fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

First fight that popped into my head as well. Was it the rape trial that derailed it?

First fight that popped into my head as well. Was it the rape trial that derailed it?

No, Buster derailed the very first fight. Holyfield dethroned Douglas in late 1990 and then in late 1991 Tyson pulled out injured. Fight delayed and in 1992 the rape trial scuppered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vision267

Wut. Mayweather has pretty much stated he avoided the Pacquiao fight because his health is a priority, i.e. he was scared of getting a beatdown. Straight from the horse's mouth.
    Totally agree,:D:D:D

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Pernell Whitacker 2. Whitaker completely out smarted Chavez in the first one, and Chavez didn't want anything to do with him ever again.

Oscar De La Hoya vs Terry Norris a fight that never happened. Norris was still at a very high level, lost a warm up I think shame that one. Oscar at that stage of his life was still a bit green.

Oscar was also still a LWW in an around 1997. Norris was a LMW and on his last legs.

walshb wrote: »
    Oscar was also still a LWW in an around 1997. Norris was a LMW and on his last legs.
    Oscar beat Whitaker at WW, his next fight was suppose to be Norris this was about 97 or there about. Norris was 30 in 97 hardly on his last legs, and could lose the extra 7 pounds quite easerily.

Steward was trainning Oscar then and didn't want the fight at all.

vision267 wrote: »
    Oscar beat Whitaker at WW, his next fight was suppose to be Norris this was about 97 or there about. Norris was 30 in 97 hardly on his last legs, and could lose the extra 7 pounds quite easerily..

Not at all sure I agree here. Norris was always a LMW when natural, and had fought even higher. Don't see how he drops to 147 easily whilst also being fit and healthy. Look at Oscar a few years back vs. Manny

Anyway, I always thought that it was Tito who was the one they were wanting to fight Terry.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Not at all sure I agree here. Norris was always a LMW when natural, and had fought even higher. Don't see how he drops to 147 easily whilst also being fit and healthy. Look at Oscar a few years back vs. Manny

Anyway, I always thought that it was Tito who was the one they were wanting to fight Terry.
    You know your boxing walshb, Norris didn't want to fight Tito. Norris said he could get down to 147 no problem. Perhaps a maga payday against De La Hoya was a big motivation.

Advertisement