Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish History Book

Options
  • 03-12-2012 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I would like to educate myself on Irish history. Can anyone recommend me a comprehensive Irish history book? I'd like to read a summary of its history as opposed to one particular part.

Any suggestions welcome.

Walrus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That's a mite difficult without getting a book written by one or the other 'hair-on-fire' brigade, but this one might just do the trick -

'A short history of Ireland' by John O'Beirne Ranelagh.

The Times LS said of it - 'Abook which compresses the Irish story from pre-history to post-Sunningdale with notable dexterity and justice of scale [the author] attains a remarkably dispassionate detachment of tone'.

Try it and see.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

tac foley wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That's a mite difficult without getting a book written by one or the other 'hair-on-fire' brigade, but this one might just do the trick -

'A short history of Ireland' by John O'Beirne Ranelagh.

The Times LS said of it - 'Abook which compresses the Irish story from pre-history to post-Sunningdale with notable dexterity and justice of scale [the author] attains a remarkably dispassionate detachment of tone'.

Try it and see.

tac

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

http://archive.org/details/historyofireland00

There's an excellent free one.

There are others for the twentieth century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As a professional historian I couldn't really recommend one book but wholeheartedly recommend the New History of Ireland series published by Oxford University Press.

They can be expensive to buy new but reasonably priced copies can be picked up 2nd hand from sites such as abebooks

Advertisement