Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai investigate alleged rape of girl (14)

Options
  • 03-12-2012 8:16am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

GARDAI are investigating the alleged rape of a 14-year-old girl in the back of a van by one of two young men she met hours earlier in a busy shopping complex.

Officers in Limerick are attempting to identify the culprits who befriended the teenager at the Crescent shopping centre in the city before the suspected sexual assault.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-investigate-alleged-rape-of-girl-14-3311492.html

That is pretty awful. Hopefully with all the CCTV of the inside and outside of the place, the people they are looking for are identified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Heard about it on the radio this morning. The radio report at 10:00 is saying two men in their late 20's to mid 30's so maybe they have gotten clear shots of them from the CCTV footage as the Indo had them down as being late teens to early 20's.

If something like this was down to such a young girl (to any person for that matter), then I hope some proper punishment is brought into play by the courts and not the disgraceful sentencing that sexual assaults and rape crimes have been getting from judges in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Kess73 wrote: »
    Heard about it on the radio this morning. The radio report at 10:00 is saying two men in their late 20's to mid 30's so maybe they have gotten clear shots of them from the CCTV footage as the Indo had them down as being late teens to early 20's.

If something like this was down to such a young girl (to any person for that matter), then I hope some proper punishment is brought into play by the courts and not the disgraceful sentencing that sexual assaults and rape crimes have been getting from judges in this country.

lets hope they dont get Judge Carney so, disgraceful, scum like this should be spending the rest of their life behind bars castrated

SO THE WHITE VAN STORY IS TRUE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What the hell was a 14yr old girl doing "befriending" 2 fellas in their late 20's/early 30's?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Melion wrote: »
    What the hell was a 14yr old girl doing "befriending" 2 fellas in their late 20's/early 30's?

It doesn't say anything about befriending them. It says she met them, I met a homeless person on the street last week, was I befriending him? Nope.

(Nothing against homeless people, just curious)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

can opened.
    worms everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Because scum prey on the innocent. It wasn't her fault .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Ah yes.
    Throw it onto her and not the two adult males involved. FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

Remember this is only alleged.....always sceptical until proven. Some time ago there was a similar incident and it transpired that it was not true at all...............

Could be anything from them asking her if she had the time to one or both being known to her.

If there was a young child raped or sexually assaulted though, it is not the child that questioned should be asked of, but rather those that preyed upon her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

BroLo wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything about befriending them.

Actually it does . . . "met and spoke to the girl and befriended her inside the shopping complex."

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

So they befriended her and not the other way around as Melion had posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

tajd wrote: »
    SO THE WHITE VAN STORY IS TRUE

Did you read the article at all? The end off the article states that AGS do not believe this incident is connected with those sightings.

peppa 1986 wrote: »
    Remember this is only alleged.....always sceptical until proven. Some time ago there was a similar incident and it transpired that it was not true at all...............

According to national media she has been taken to/seen by a sexual assault unit, so one can only assume that they will have an idea as to whether or not someone had performed a sexual act with the 14 year old child.

Seems that there may be something to this horrific story if the sexual assault unit has already examined her and the story is still active after them checking her out.:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

source wrote: »
    Did you read the article at all? The end off the article states that AGS do not believe this incident is connected with those sightings.

Judging by the ALL CAPS approach, I think that post might have been a piss-take. Like "Did he died?" on YouTube. Never can be sure though...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

crusher000 wrote: »
    So they befriended her and not the other way around as Melion had posted.

I would take it that "befriending" is a two-way street so to speak. The article goes on to say she was "taken" to the car park. I cant imagine her being taken against her will, the Crescent is a busy place, that would not go unnoticed. so did she go willingly? Severe lack of details in the article tbh, girl hasn't made a detailed statement to the Gardai yet so we wont know the full facts for some time yet.
    Horrible thing to happen to someone who is still very much a child.

Cheers,
    sombaht

I am in no way justifiying the behaviour of the 2 males involved before anyone jumps on that.

I just see it as very strange that a 14yr old girl willingly left the Crescent with 2 men twice her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

I am in no way justifiying the behaviour of the 2 males involved before anyone jumps on that.

I just see it as very strange that a 14yr old girl willingly left the Crescent with 2 men twice her age.

I would be thinking one fo the two following possibilities:

She knew one or both of them.

They were posing as security or something similar and claimed the parent(s) were looking for her (having been separated potentially)

BroLo wrote: »
    I would be thinking one fo the two following possibilities:

She knew one or both of them.

They were posing as security or something similar and claimed the parent(s) were looking for her (having been separated potentially)

If she knew them then i dont think "befriending" would have been mentioned in the article and their names would have been given to the Gardai already.

As for parents looking for her, she is 14, not 4.

As I said earlier it could be a thing that one or both were known to her.

It could also be a thing that the news report is wrong about the ages of the males and they could iundeed turn out to be late teens or early 20's.

There could be plenty of other reasons as to how a child was fooled into leaving the centre with two adults (assuming she actually left with them and was not followed)

I know of one individual in his early 20's living in county Limerick who not too long ago was grooming young girls through facebook using a fake name, and was into setting up meetings with the young girls using his online persona.

Same guy got caught out by the Gardai thankfully and although not put in prison he has to report in on a regular basis to the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Can't believe people are deflecting blame to the young girl on this. She is a child and children can be very easily manipulated, especially by perverts who know what they are doing. It's not her fault that she was tricked or lured. She is 14 for God's sake. Teens are still very gullible and impressionable.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Can't believe people are deflecting blame to the young girl on this. She is a child and one children can be very easily manipulated, especially by perverts who know what they are doing. It's not her fault that she was tricked or lured. She is 14 for God's sake. Teens are still very gullible and impressionable.

Some of the 14 yr olds I have seen around town over the last few years are far from innocent and could teach men ofthat age a thing or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Can't believe people are deflecting blame to the young girl on this. She is a child and children can be very easily manipulated, especially by perverts who know what they are doing. It's not her fault that she was tricked or lured. She is 14 for God's sake. Teens are still very gullible and impressionable.

not blaming anyone, but let's sit and wait how the situation develops. I wouldn't jump to conclusions too early. next day or two will probably shed some light on the whole situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Surely no one is stupid enough to be blaming the girl. I don't want to be blaming regeneration on this, but the place has really gone downhill recently.

These s***bags need to be seriously dealt with if/when they are caught. Our judges are as bad as our politicians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

This is an ongoing legal issue and in line with Irish law we can't have any discussion that could possibly impact on the case, I will leave the thread open but I don't want to see any speculation into the events of the crime, example of similar incidents, comments on the 14 year old or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Clareman wrote: »
    Folks,

This is an ongoing legal issue and in line with Irish law we can't have any discussion that could possibly impact on the case, I will leave the thread open but I don't want to see any speculation into the events of the crime, example of similar incidents, comments on the 14 year old or anything like that.

So what can we talk about? Not being a smartarse by the way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So what can we talk about? Not being a smartarse by the way.

Anything you want once it's within the rules, the law and guidelines of the charter

Advertisement