Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java SE 7 Certification via FÁS's eCollege

Options
  • 02-12-2012 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I recently finished a masters in Software Design & Development and am applying for graduate or junior development jobs.

There seems to be good demand for developers with Java. We did some C++ and I've been teaching myself Java from Lynda.com for the last month or so. I've had an interview and a call from a few recruiters and they seem to be a bit weary taking someone with a Masters and not a 4-year degree. My undergrad was Civil Eng, the masters is a sort of conversion course.

Anyway I had been looking up getting certified in Java and most courses seemed to be very expensive until I came across the FÁS eCollege courses today. They appear to be proper Oracle certification and quite cheap at €120 each, they're free if you're on the dole.

Java Associate Developer SE 7
    Java Professional Developer SE 7

The associate developer course is a prerequisite for the professional developer course - this seems to be new prerequisite from Oracle actually. I think I'd run through the associate course fairly quickly though.

Has anyone signed up to these courses? Did you go via FÁS? How did you find the course and content? How do

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I tried Java Associate Developer during the summer and I didnt like it. I had no prior programming experience. The whole course is just theory and it didnt make any sense to me. It was horrible, trying to memorise a load of stuff that I barely understood. I am learning java in college now though and it is going well.
    Something I else I hate about Fas online courses is that they have loads of stupid requirements like the "induction module" and if you fail a test you have to re-read the whole chapter. Which is stupid if you understand a lot of it but there one page that tripped you up etc.

Advertisement