Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hippo wine and squills !!

Options
  • 02-12-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

There was a discussion here a while back about medicines our mothers dosed us with. Stuff like Syrup of Figs, Cod liver oil, Angiers Emulsion etc. For some reason Hippo wine and Squills came into my mind this morning. I remember my mother dosing me with it and from what I recall it tasted quite nice.
    Not much on google about it, apparently it was a decongestant with high alcohol content :D
    Anyone remember it and if so where did the strange name come from ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can't help. I never heard of it. What on earth were they doing plying kiddies with booze in those days? That's why the country is full of alcodollops now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I didn't make it up, who could invent a name like that :D. Mr Jos remembers it too. He thought it was a digestive medicine but I'm sure it was for chesty coughs

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Anyone remember Virol? I don't know what it was or what it was supposed to do for me but I loved the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My mother never used hippo wine and squills and never heard of it until my mother in law advised me to use it when my son was very chesty as a baby. He's nearly 15 now and I haven't heard much of it since then.

Grandad, I don't remember Virol, that was never in the press at home. Can't help you there I'm afraid. Karen, thanks for that, at least it proves that Hippo wine and squills does exist and it is a decongestant. What the hell is in it though, how do they get wine from hippos and what are squills ??

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    What the hell is in it though, how do they get wine from hippos and what are squills ??

Yuh milk 'em!

'Squills' might be 'sicky pills'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rick57

The Squill part of the medicine comes from the bulb of the Squill plant (Urginaea Maritima), see: http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/squill86.html - it's apparently an expectorant.

I can't find a useful description of Hippo Wine but I did run across mentions of it in Classical Literature from about 1871. From all accounts, it appears to be a spiced wine and, although it is said to have a high alcohol content, I would doubt that it's THAT powerful but see the final paragraph and judge for yourself.

My wife used the Hippo Wine and Squill medicine on her son, thirty-odd years ago, when he had a bronchial complaint - with some success, I might add! She sourced it from O'Leary's chemist in Thomas Street, Dublin, which may have ceased to exist by this time (this WAS thirty years ago, after all!).

It may be one of those things that a pharmacist can make up for you, like the Hospital Formulary stuff that chemists do these days - hand-made medicines that don't feature in the standard pharmacopoeia. Might be worth a try if you need a wickedly-good expectorant but it also may be one of those things that has passed into the annals of history as a forgotten folk remedy.

Squill is still in widespread use, though, so you may find another folk remedy that works along the same lines.

[As an aside, on November 5th, 1966, my five year old sister had serious bronchitis but didn't want to miss out on the fireworks. My parents wrapped her in a blanket and sat her next to the pop bottles while we had a great time with the bonfire. Periodically, they looked over at her and saw she was happily chugging away at the pop - until Mom went to get a glass of sherry and found the bottle nearly empty. Sis staggered up the garden path ahead of us - TOTALLY CLATTERED - and slept for the next twenty-four hours - but there wasn't a peep of bronchitis out her when she woke up. So, I can vouch for the wine part of this medicine!]

Great story Rick! My mother used to travel to the Thomas St/Francis St area to Mushatt's chemist. They used to make up all sorts of stuff on request. My mum swore by Mushatt's. Foley's are probably situated in the old Mushatt's shop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22521837@N02/7157740174/

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/printthread.php?t=5372&pp=40&page=29

Brilliant story Rick :D
    Thanks a million for all the information, I had forgotten that my Mam used to ask the chemist to make up a bottle of the said elixir. I only remembered that when I read your post. That was a fascinating article about Squills, cheers ! I suppose hippo wine and squills was the fore runner to expectorant with codeine that we use today. The expectorant helps clear the cough while the codeine guarantees a night's sleep. No wonder I liked the taste of hippo wine :D

The pharma companies might not like chemists mixing up potions these days, it would do them out of Euros! Possibly those old mixtures were a tad stronger and really worked, then you didn't have to buy more, like nowadays!

• Advertisement

You're quite possibly right. The word's ruled by bread-heads these days. Pity, really. It's always worth asking a pharmacist, though. You never know. Some folks just respond better to natural stuff than the chemical bulldust they feed us these days.

Gripe Water used to be great until they took the alcohol out of it. Now, you might as well give your kid a glass of tap water.

I'm not advocating taking the little mite down the boozer but, you know what I mean - a little does the job. "Medicinal Purposes" and all that.

I used to work for a pharmaceutical company and, until then, had no idea that chemists could make up 'other' types of medication. I don't know what restrictions apply in Ireland but over here pharmacists do it all the time.

Just noticed that you are in Dudley, Rick. I used to live in Lichfield which is not a million miles from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My granny lived in Litchfield - Cannock Chase, a good few years ago!

I suppose I shall have to give out to myself for going off topic now!

Ah don't give out to yourself Looksee, we could always discuss the availability of Hippo wine and squills in Lichfield :D
    Cannock Chase is a nice part of the world too, my brothers went to school there.

Thanks Jellybaby. Love the photos and I hope the information was useful.

No problem Jos. Glad I could be of some help.

Advertisement