Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Vuitton Price Increase??

Options
  • 02-12-2012 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was looking at a bag around the end of May/start of June this year and it's price was €525, I rang the Louis Vuitton store in Brown Thomas today and I was given a price of €560 for the same bag.

Does anyone know if there has been a confirmed increase in the Louis Vuitton prices or has the sales assistant made a mistake?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

There's usually a price increase with a lot of premier designer brands once, if not twice a year so I would imagine that's the correct price and the sales assistant did not make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

I am most outraged at this also, but it seems to be true.

I was all set to purchase a Louis Vutton overnight bag, but now I'll have to slum it with a Jean Paul Gaultier :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I looked into this further and some articles seem to indicate that it was a tax increase in China from the 1st of Oct. Looks like they might be trying to take advantage of the Christmas marketing. The bag I was actually looking at previously was €520 not €525 as I originally posted. So that's a €40 increase, roughly 7% and I'd have to pay for postage as I'm not in Dublin. Not impressed either.

I looked into this further and some articles seem to indicate that it was a tax increase in China from the 1st of Oct. Looks like they might be trying to take advantage of the Christmas marketing. The bag I was actually looking at previously was €520 not €525 as I originally posted. So that's a €40 increase, roughly 7% and I'd have to pay for postage as I'm not in Dublin. Not impressed either.

A tax increase in China has nothing to do with prices over here. If there was a price increase in Ireland then it would be a European-wide increase. Asia / US increases can happen at different times than Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

What recession???!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Bandito909 and Pippy1976 If you have nothing helpful to contribute, then please don't post

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Bandito909 wrote: »
    I am most outraged at this also, but it seems to be true.

I was all set to purchase a Louis Vutton overnight bag, but now I'll have to slum it with a Jean Paul Gaultier :mad::mad:

lol first world problems!

but seriously, I know it's annoying that they increased the price that much but maybe you should just buy it anyway because it's the bag you want the most?
    When you're spending over 500 on a bag anyway what's another 40.
    Although if you just don't want to buy anything from that brand because you think the price increases are unjustified then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Christmas market , guys will be buying bags for their wives / GFs they're going to make X amounts of sales so they up the price a little to make max profits

lol first world problems!

but seriously, I know it's annoying that they increased the price that much but maybe you should just buy it anyway because it's the bag you want the most?
    When you're spending over 500 on a bag anyway what's another 40.
    Although if you just don't want to buy anything from that brand because you think the price increases are unjustified then fair enough.

It's actually a present for my mum who is in her mid fifties and has always wanted one, I feel at this stage she is well-deserved. I had been saving for ages and to be honest and extra €40 + €12 postage is an extra €50 I haven't got in my Xmas budget. Feel disheartened with the whole thing, every other business in Ireland including Brown Thomas and all the high-street chain stores are offering great deals at the moment and 20% off days etc I fully understand that LV never offer a discount but to increase their prices in the run up to Christmas is so unfair, their goods are out of the reach of most people and then when I try to save for ages for one it's still out of reach. Knowing my mother anyway, she would be annoyed if I gave them an extra cent in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Why not take your business elsewhere and buy from somewhere online like net-a-porter?

• Advertisement

OP, as I have explained already, they have not increased prices right before the Christmas rush. Premier designer brands increase their prices at least once, sometimes even twice a year. You checked the price in May/June, that was six months ago!

LV, Chanel, etc are not part of Brown Thomas - they are their own stores that happen to be located on the Brown Thomas premises, hence why none if them are ever included in the general BT store promotions, sales, etc.

Lastly, they increase their prices because they can. People are still buying their goods, even with price hikes. If you were planning on spending €520 anyway well what is the big problem with spending an extra €40? You said you don't have an extra €40 to spend but if that's the case how can you honestly afford €520 in the first place?

Tis up to you if you still want to buy the bag though.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    OP, as I have explained already, they have not increased prices right before the Christmas rush. Premier designer brands increase their prices at least once, sometimes even twice a year. You checked the price in May/June, that was six months ago!

LV, Chanel, etc are not part of Brown Thomas - they are their own stores that happen to be located on the Brown Thomas premises, hence why none if them are ever included in the general BT store promotions, sales, etc.

Lastly, they increase their prices because they can. People are still buying their goods, even with price hikes. If you were planning on spending €520 anyway well what is the big problem with spending an extra €40? You said you don't have an extra €40 to spend but if that's the case how can you honestly afford €520 in the first place?

Tis up to you if you still want to buy the bag though.

A friend of mine has the exact same bag and paid €520 for it in May 2008. So fair enough if they haven't had a price increase since then but obviously it hasn't been increased once or twice a year since 2008.

Advertisement