Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John McAfee - On the run

Options
  • 02-12-2012 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

The creator of McAfee anti virus software is on the run after the body of his neighbour was found dead. The story involves crystal meth and decapitated dogs.

I only heard about this story last night in the pub so I did a quick google and McAfee has started a blog. But I click on the blog and access is denied ??? I believe that a journalist from wired was doing an article on the techie side of his life and came across loads of weird goings on at McAfee's home in Belize, Central America. I can't load the Wired website properly using my phone.

So, good people of boards, fill me in on the bits I have missed ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

The creator of McAfee anti virus software is on the run after the body of his neighbour was found dead. The story involves crystal meth and decapitated dogs.

I only heard about this story last night in the pub so I did a quick google and McAfee has started a blog. But I click on the blog and access is denied ??? I believe that a journalist from wired was doing an article on the techie side of his life and came across loads of weird goings on at McAfee's home in Belize, Central America. I can't load the Wired website properly using my phone.

So, good people of boards, fill me in on the bits I have missed ;)

I don't normally engage in text speak but I can honestly say when I read this I (after browsing to see if it's true because.. well you know ... boards and all that) actually thought WTF.

I dont mean "what the ****" In me mind I actually sais WTF.

Seriously WTF, that's mental!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

McAfee,disappear? i wish he'd get the **** off machines i fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Honestly this story is about a month old. You are only finding out now??

McAfee sounds like a complete nut job all same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Well the version being told in the pub last night definitely made Breaking Bad seem like an episode of Nationwide!

This happened a couple of weeks ago and can't believe the boardsies hadn't mentioned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Old news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hippies! wrote: »
    Old news

A recurring virus.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Honestly this story is about a month old. You are only finding out now??

McAfee sounds like a complete nut job all same.

To be Fair, you may have known about about a month ago and fair play to you but you could have started a thread but didn't.

If it turns out this was well known and only the OP and meself were in the dark fair enough, but I reckon this is as mad as when John DeLorean was caught in a drug sting and I didn't see it reported anywhere.

I realise this isn't the same as the DeLorean case and nothing is in any way proven I just mean for the news shock factor it's quite big.

Ah lads, c'mon. I've already said I can't load internet pages. Would someone please tell me some more of the story? Purlease :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He faces a 30 day trial when he's caught

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Norton and Kaspersky are after him!

• Advertisement

What about the dogs? Were they poisoned? shot? buried? dug up again? Did the police chop their heads off for evidence and then bury them again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ah stop. The neighbour had the flu. What else could he do? He is the virus killing man. There's a rep to be upheld.

Ah lads, c'mon. I've already said I can't load internet pages. Would someone please tell me some more of the story? Purlease :(

http://lmgtfy.com/ nah I'm only messing people who do that are horrible. I only heard about this five minutes ago and am frantically reading up on it.

From the Wikipedia page (with references to valid news sources) it seems he was questioned by the Belizian police gang squad earlier in the year and nothing came of it.

A neighbour of his was murdered and the Belizian police wanted to question him as a person of interest. He then went on the run and started a blog.

That's where I am at the moment, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

He's a fascinating character. Good article on him.

Is it wrong that I think the person involved in anti virus/spyware being paranoid is a wee bit comforting?

The same way (I hate meself for this but..) I quite like if I go to a restaurant and the chef is a bit fat or if I go to get me hair cut and they seem a bit gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Why would he run if he wasn't guilty? Considering that he built a police station and paid them and has put up a reward for finding the murderer it's all very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He was on the Joe Rogan podcast last week explaining the whole situation. Starts just after the 18 min mark. Fascinating stuff!

Check it:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

humbert wrote: »
    He's a fascinating character. Good article on him.
    from that article-
    he hid from them by burying himself in sand with a cardboard box over his head
    sounds like he has been taking tips from metal gear solid,wonder did the police officers have exclamation points apear over their heads as they came upon the boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

See it's like that film The Matrix.

A virus actually evolved enough to pass over from the digital world into our world, it's called "Agent Smith" (not Will Smith, wrong film dumbass).
    Now it turns out that McAfee was getting too good at killing viruses on the internet so the viruses built a weapon to destroy him. A weapon of McAfee destruction if you will.

"Agent Smith" was released a few weeks ago, there was an epic kung-fu battle on a beach at sunset in Belize. And McAfee defeated Agent Smith. Internet saved, what a hero.

So OF COURSE.... the cops show up, see a body on the beach, exhausted McAfee recovering from the epic struggle. Arrest McAfee for saving the internet, can you believe it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

By the way, his blog was updated tonight saying he's been captured:
    ANTI-virus software pioneer John McAfee, wanted by authorities in Belize for his neighbour's murder, has been captured after weeks on the run, his blog says.

"We have received an unconfirmed report that John McAfee has been captured at the border of Belize and Mexico,'' his official blog whoismcafee.com said.

The website, which McAfee launched to counter what he sees as erroneous claims by the media or authorities about him, said it would provide more information as it became available.

Police say they simply want to question the 67-year-old about the murder of fellow American Gregory Faull, a Florida native who was found dead at his home last month in a pool of blood on the Caribbean island of Ambergris Caye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Is this man John McAfee crazy or what. Some funny video he has out now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He's not right in the head... I like that in a millionaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Them US lads need to stop killing people in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Says he was ruled to be extradited. Did he suicided? What’s the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

suicide by 2 bullets in the back of the head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The hell does swhacked mean anyhow?? Strange dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Bobblehats wrote: »
    The hell does swhacked mean anyhow?? Strange dude.

Paid assassination i'd guess.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It wasn't a virus that got him anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement