If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Emergency tax?

  • 01-12-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

    Im 16 and I have started a part time job.
    I got paid my first wages tonight and Ive been taxed nearly €100
    on Emergency tax. Im absolutely clueless on how to claim it back or
    anything like that. I get paid with a wage slip but the actual pay is in
    cash with the wage slip. Do I need a bank account for the tax pay back?



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

    It's always good to have a bank account so open one

    On your payslip will be your employers number so first thing Monday ring the tax office and inform them your working you need your pps number, their employer number and your home address. They will send you out a tax cert, they will also send one to your employer so once they receive this you will get any tax due back to you in your wages from your employer

    However as its so close to year end the revenue may tell you that you can claim it back in the new year after your p60 has been issued, this is purely because December is a very busy month tax wise

    Then again they may not, ring them Monday and find out