Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket hole jig

Options
  • 01-12-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted before but after a quick search I just found links to "money burning holes in people pockets" (wow I wish that was me)......
    Anyways.... I was wondering if anyone knows somewhere in the Dublin/Louth region that would sell the small kreg pocket hole jig... not the one that you mount on a bench but the one with two holes and usually priced at around €40....

Thanks in advance,
    Steven Power.

Comments

There's a guy in Galway selling it online www.iedepot.ie

Disclaimer : I have no connection except for buying stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Thanks, I seen that site already and other over that direction, I try to avoid buying stuff online and if I do its usually overseas.
    If I cant find one this side of the country that I can pick up myself... hopefully ill be able to persuade relatives in England to pick up one and bring it home for the holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Have you searched www.axminster.co.uk ? My policy is to buy online if I can't find it in the ROI - which is usually the case.

I think I am actually going to see if any family in the UK want to order me this one from rutlands.... http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-power-tool-accessories/pocket-hole-&-dowel-jigs/pocket-hole---jigs/DKPHG/pocket-hole-guide-kit

£40 and seems to be identical to the trend one and the more expensive kreg models.... judging by reviews it seems to be really good.

slpower01 wrote: »
    I think I am actually going to see if any family in the UK want to order me this one from rutlands.... http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-power-tool-accessories/pocket-hole-&-dowel-jigs/pocket-hole---jigs/DKPHG/pocket-hole-guide-kit

£40 and seems to be identical to the trend one and the more expensive kreg models.... judging by reviews it seems to be really good.

Should be fine, looks like it has a hole to allow the waste to exit while drilling.
    Don't forget to order the screws - the coarse thread are the best except for very hard woods like oak and maple.

• Advertisement

It says you get 100 screws included which is a lot more then kreg give you (from what ive heard "not enough to even complete one project").... my local providers also does these type screws anyway so thats not too much of an issue, thank god!

slpower01 wrote: »
    It says you get 100 screws included which is a lot more then kreg give you (from what ive heard "not enough to even complete one project").... my local providers also does these type screws anyway so thats not too much of an issue, thank god!

Are you sure your local provider has screws for pocket hole jigs ? They are self tapping with a flat head. Also you need stainless steel for Oak. Just asking.

Yeah I cant remember what I got them for but found a lot of them in the shed and have only ever brought screws from the one location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Try tool equip in Naas they have them but try get the steel one they are far more durable than the plastic ones.

A normal 4x30mm pan head screw from wurth is what I use everyday in them and there good at what there suppose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

The Rutlands pocket jig seems reasonable value at £40, down from £70. It's very similar but not as good as the one Axminster used to sell years ago.

I can't see how that Rutland jig accommodates different thicknesses of wood. The axminster one allowed for the pocket hole bushing guides themselves to be raised for thicker wood. But on the Rutland jig there's no height available to adjust the drill bushings... so I can't see how it works?
    (Perhaps the drilled holes are not centered on thicker woods?.. in other words,.. perhaps no adjustment is made for thicker woods, .. the thicker wood is simply done the same way as thinner wood, and as a result the drilled holes would not be centered on thicker boards)

I agree with 'One Shot' that 4 x 30mm pan head screws work very well for 18mm thick wood, and are likely much cheaper than dedicated, square drive, pocket hole screws. I also had 4x35 pans for thicker wood, and 4 x 25mm pans for the odd time when the screws would go too far and would have to be replaced with shorter ones. I was using pine a lot which is soft. A pan screw has a flat underside to the head, and a dome top.

I have three of the Axminster version of the jig, all lined up on a single bench so I can do large boards in two passes at most. The spacings for the pocket holes works in sympathy with my doweling machine (Mafell DD40), .. allowing for very strong and quick assembly of custom cabinets.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Yeah I noticed about it not having an adjustment for different thicknesses... mainly id be using 3/4inch sheet good so hopefully it will be fine for that... maybe it does have an adjustment in a different way then normal... if it does ill update you when I hopefully receive it.

Steven.

I have the blue plastic kreg jig and there is no adjustment of the bushings. Wouldn't that raise the entry of the pocket hole needing longer screws. ? I think its worth buying a box of the square drive coarse screws as the driver never slips. In fact, I can never understand why square drive screws havn't replaced phillips head screws - no more mangled screw heads !

Im not to pushed on the width adjustment once it does 3/4 inch pretty well! But yeah ive seen those screws being sold in a few places locally and also know a crown up north that for 10 euro do 1000 which seems pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

made my own two hole jig for a job few years ago from an aluminium block and two steel tubes still have it and works great spun a drill down to suit bushing to set depth
    different thickness materials can be joined by moving jig in and out from edge and reseting depths because of angle this moves entry hole up and down:)

zebrano.96 wrote: »
    made my own two hole jig for a job few years ago from an aluminium block and two steel tubes still have it and works great spun a drill down to suit bushing to set depth
    different thickness materials can be joined by moving jig in and out from edge and reseting depths because of angle this moves entry hole up and down:)

As much as I love making my own tools and jigs, I think something like this is out of my hands... without having to go out and buy a drill press and use a v type groove to hold timber at appropriate angle...

Would love to see pics of what you created though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

https://www.google.ie/search?redir_esc=&redir_esc=&hl=en-IE&client=ms-android-hms-tef-ie&source=android-browser-suggest&v=210020209&qsubts=1355389589041&q=paragon%20tools%20tallaght#mldd=0Dont know if it's too late but paragon power tools in tallaght sell kreg and trend stuff.... best off ringing them cause not everything is on their site

Damien McGarry
    http://www.Wexfordwoodworking.com

Thanks Damien... its a little late for me (I talked my sister into getting me the rutlands one before she comes home as she was stuck for present ideas)..... but will still check out what they sell non the less.....

It might come in handy for someone else looking for one locally as well :)

Advertisement