Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ska Threads

Options
  • 01-12-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

New here and was just wondering where the best place to find any ska related stuff would be ?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Sin E on a Friday night is the best regular ska night in Dublin, live band plus great DJ's afterwards and open til late. You'll find out everything you need to know about ska in Dublin there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

bassey wrote: »
    Sin E on a Friday night is the best regular ska night in Dublin, live band plus great DJ's afterwards and open til late. You'll find out everything you need to know about ska in Dublin there.

Cheers mate. Bionic Rats(altough mostly reggae) in the Foggy Dew on a sunday are good craic
    bombidol wrote: »

Cheers mate but twigged this to late :(, but still looking for ska stuff on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gustavo Fring

Cheers mate. Bionic Rats(altough mostly reggae) in the Foggy Dew on a sunday are good craic

Cheers mate but twigged this to late :(, but still looking for ska stuff on Boards.ie

The rats @ the foggy is always a great night

The Rats usually play on the Friday night in Sin E that I mentioned, with excellent DJ's afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tried pushing for a ska forum many times over the years... they dont like skanks here.

honestly tho, theres not a huge amount of interest here.

new rbf is great, check out the jellycats too, on bandcamp, just released their debut, good ska punk, female fronted too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ah here. There's a MASSIVE difference between Real Big Fish and Ska.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

dregin wrote: »
    Ah here. There's a MASSIVE difference between Real Big Fish and Ska.

How about The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and ska? Is any of the 90's 00's punk ska stuff acceptable? Capdown perhaps?

I don't accept magpies as a species of bird. How's that? :(

This is it ska punk. Not saying I don't like it, but it's not the ska you'll find playing in Sin E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

The op never specified what sort of ska they were after.

• Advertisement

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    The op never specified what sort of ska they were after.

I like all ska and ska influenced sounds (including ska punk,Oi,reggae etc)

Prince Buster to Rancid (Timebomb is an exceptional track) et al

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

this is the punk forum, so maybe we can assume its ska punk

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Less Than Jake <3

Mighty Mighty Bosstones are awesome too. I met Chris Rhodes last August when he was touring with LTJ and asked him why MMB hadn't been back to Ireland since 03. He didn't know :(

think it was 2 years ago saw them play at 2pm in the afternoon at leeds festival, great old gig

think it was 2 years ago saw them play at 2pm in the afternoon at leeds festival, great old gig

Who, LTJ or MMB? :p

Who, LTJ or MMB? :p

mmb

mmb

Ah right! I would love to see them play :(

heading over to london in march to see reel big fish and suburban legends, will the 9th time seeing rbf ( 10th is tattoo time) and sl... i honestly thought i'd never see them live, i may cry a little at the gig

Wow! I've only ever seen RBF once, Slam Dunk '11.

I got my LTJ tattoo after my 8th show :)

Saw Pressure Drop at ST Annes last week and as cover bands go they were pretty good

• Advertisement

Aye Pressure Drop are good, they were excellent at Electric Picnic last year.

As far as I know the No Bother lads are doing Wednesday nights in the Grand Social now as well.

Also if you listen to Ska Patrol on Near 90 fm on Mondays JB and Jero usually give a heads up for anything decent happening.

If anyone gets a chance see Suburban Legends live, saw them support RBF there a few weeks back and quite possibly the best ska punk gig I have been to in my life, the whole place was skanking, people walking out who had never heard of them singing their praises, queues to buy the cds outside. Reel Big Fish gave a decent show aswell after a few less than great shows in recent years IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jillwvk

MOONSTOMPIN_GS-280x396.jpg
    Ska, Reggae and Rocksteady night on every thursday in The Grand Social Lower Liffey Street, Dublin 1. Free entry and doors 8pm-11:30pm. With Fux (owner of No Bother shop selling ska apparel) djing every week.
    http://www.thegrandsocial.ie/

Went to Croatia and Slovenia last week to see Less Than Jake, and they had this amazing Italian ska/pop-punk band supporting them in Slovenia.

Looking to discover more bands like this. Really love the fast stuff ;)

Neither of those is fast! :D

Against All Authority ftfw!

anyone listened to the new streetlight manifesto + toh kay companion album, pretty much lived up to my expectations... AWE

dregin wrote: »
    Neither of those is fast! :D

ha, ok I should have said fast(er). It's just, some of the slow stuff really doesn't do anything for me. I really love the pop punk type ska.

anyone listened to the new streetlight manifesto + toh kay companion album, pretty much lived up to my expectations... AWE

I haven't really listened to them at all...when I finish my exams I'll give it a go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Civil Disobiedients & Pound for the Sound two of the best ska albums in the early 00's. Absolute quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bad Manners were brilliant tonight (as usual) in the Village tonight - brilliant gig.

Advertisement