Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics for 8 years +

Options
  • 01-12-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

Hay all.

I want to get my 8 year old in to comics to improve his reading.His biggest problem with book is that they just don't hold his interest.
    I called in to Dublin city comics today and picked up a few Dc (batman arkham unhinged) and some marvel Captain america and the avengers stuff.The lad in there told me of a comic convention up stairs in the hotel across the road and I grabbed a few novels there.

He absolutely loved them.He seems fine with them and there's none a of the ol' people been chopped in half that I remember from my childhood reading 2000AD.
    So I,m looking for your recommendations of a few others I can pick up for him to get him started.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

damagegt wrote: »
    Hay all.

I want to get my 8 year old in to comics to improve his reading.His biggest problem with book is that they just don't hold his interest.
    I called in to Dublin city comics today and picked up a few Dc (batman arkham unhinged) and some marvel Captain america and the avengers stuff.The lad in there told me of a comic convention up stairs in the hotel across the road and I grabbed a few novels there.

He absolutely loved them.He seems fine with them and there's none a of the ol' people been chopped in half that I remember from my childhood reading 2000AD.
    So I,m looking for your recommendations of a few others I can pick up for him to get him started.

Cheers
    That would have been Sub City you were in if the Comic mart was across the road.

Was there myself and picked up a crap load of comics.

For the little lad i'ld recommend Ultimate Spider-man, Bravest Warriors, Gladstone's School for World Conquerors and Avengers Assemble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Thwip! wrote: »
    That would have been Sub City you were in if the Comic mart was across the road.

Was there myself and picked up a crap load of comics.

For the little lad i'ld recommend Ultimate Spider-man, Bravest Warriors, Gladstone's School for World Conquerors and Avengers Assemble
    Cheers for that,hes been glued to them all evening,im not sure he quite knows whats going on but hes really enjoying them.

I only got to the second box in the mart before he had all my money spent.He was so excited by it all.

When I was a kid I lived near Dermot Power that used to draw for 2000AD. His mother used to teach me in primary school.He came to the class one day and drew a full Judge Dread scene on the blackboard using chalk.I remember being totally amazed and reading nothing but Dread comics for ages, unbeknownst to my mother of course.I could see the same excitement in the boy today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

damagegt wrote: »
    Cheers for that,hes been glued to them all evening,im not sure he quite knows whats going on but hes really enjoying them.

I only got to the second box in the mart before he had all my money spent.He was so excited by it all.

That's great to hear. encourage that :)

I picked up perhaps far too much my self :P

Advertisement