Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing

Options
  • 01-12-2012 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am considering computing at IT Tallaght next year. I have heard that the computing course is tough with a greater drop out rate than other courses. Is this true? How difficult does the course actually get? I know people who went to tallaght and they have told me that the atmosphere is great. Can anyone tell me what the classes are like for computing? Also exams and stuff/labs and what ill be doing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

con1421 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am considering computing at IT Tallaght next year. I have heard that the computing course is tough with a greater drop out rate than other courses. Is this true? How difficult does the course actually get? I know people who went to tallaght and they have told me that the atmosphere is great. Can anyone tell me what the classes are like for computing? Also exams and stuff/labs and what ill be doing?

In 3 years I was there the class size went from about 120 to around 35/40.

Course is fairly difficult depending on your grasp of it, I personally found programming my downfall as I couldn't grasp it.

Hours are fairly intense, 25 ish hours, plus CA's and a project, if you have a part-time job that really starts putting a strain on everything (my experience).

Great atmosphere, great socials, etc...

Classes are anything from C++/Java to Maths to Communications (search computing on here, I posted timetables before plus more info).

About half your subjects will have labs, most worth a percentage of each module. You also have tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

What is programming like?I havnt done anything like this before so how difficult can it get? Also when you mention labs what kind of other stuff would I be doing and how many times per week?

Do you have many exams at Christmas and at the end of the year? Does every class have an exam?

When you mention 25ish hours per week does that mean that you have classes everyday or do you get a day or 2 off per week?

Also, I did pass Maths in school so would I suffer?Does the Maths get difficult? Maths was never my best subject lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

con1421 wrote: »
    What is programming like?I havnt done anything like this before so how difficult can it get? Also when you mention labs what kind of other stuff would I be doing and how many times per week?

Do you have many exams at Christmas and at the end of the year? Does every class have an exam?

When you mention 25ish hours per week does that mean that you have classes everyday or do you get a day or 2 off per week?

Also, I did pass Maths in school so would I suffer?Does the Maths get difficult? Maths was never my best subject lol

Have a look at here http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php Java, C++ and C# are the ones you'll be doing.

Generally the labs are practical, so example in Web Design and Development you bulid a website over a few weeks.

I never got any days off in the 3 years I was there.

Maths can get difficult but only parts of it would be what you done in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

I currently do the course part time in tallaght, it's pretty much the same as full time with the same modules.

It's very tough you don't know much about computers,
    Especially the software development modules, in my first year nearly half the class had dropped out by the end if it. About 35% even before the end of the first semester,
    There is an awful lot if studying involved and I would suggest trying some java programming at home and seeing how you like it first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement