Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Charges from Ebay

Options
  • 30-11-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for info on something. I bought a soccer jersey off Ebay & I was told that I could have to pay import charges by the post office, is this true?

If it is, is there any way to avoid paying it? i.e getting the seller to post it to a business address? I heard that could work.

Any help is much appreciated.

Its being shipped from America by the way!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes you will; no it is not possible by shipping to a business address and beyond that it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

If I get it posted as a gift surely I won't have to pay? I'm after forking out for my son & as money is tight I won't be able to afford any additional costs so I'm praying I'm ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Can you post a link to your ebay ad please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Motivator wrote: »
    If I get it posted as a gift surely I won't have to pay? ...
    Of course you will, it's an import possibly subject to import duty, customs clearance charges and VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If its value is around €50 including shipping , and it is a jersey for a boy under 14 , you should only pay around €12 and a clearance fee of €6 .

Vat is 23 % , but if its value is less than €150 , then no duty is payable .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

If its value is around €50 including shipping , and it is a jersey for a boy under 14 , you should only pay around €12 and a clearance fee of €6 .

Vat is 23 % , but if its value is less than €150 , then no duty is payable .

I can live with that, I was told it would be the same value as what I paid in total. So basically I was told I'd have to pay twice for the items. I can live with paying around €20. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

iv ordered countless goods on ebay over the years and the only place i got caught was buying from the states by the irish customs (marking the package as gift by passes them all right :)

if you ordered from within the eu you should not have to pay extra.

Advertisement