Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland becoming an over the top Nanny State.?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Is Ireland becoming an over the top Nanny State ? All these new taxes on sugar and fatty foods , more taxes on Alcohol,tobacco etc... in the interest of public health. Well we all know thats a load of Sh!te. Can people not decide themselves on whats to much or if somethings bad for you ? Not the government. The problem is many people support these 'Taxes' and depend on the government to make these decisions. Yes its costing the tax payer over a billion a year because of public health issues due to obesity and such but most of that cost is down to mismanagement and lack of knowledge or care. These are just my opinions, what do people think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

they couldnt care less

its just to "sugar" coat all the extra taxes , and fatties love sugar so these are good taxes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It already is. It's been a nanny state for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

We should stop blaming the government and blame it's subjects for putting up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Is Ireland becoming an over the top Nanny State ? All these new taxes on sugar and fatty foods , more taxes on Alcohol,tobacco etc... in the interest of public health. Well we all know thats a load of Sh!te. Can people not decide themselves on whats to much or if somethings bad for you ? Not the government. The problem is many people support these 'Taxes' and depend on the government to make these decisions. Yes its costing the tax payer over a billion a year because of public health issues due to obesity and such but most of that cost is down to mismanagement and lack of knowledge or care. These are just my opinions, what do people think?

I think when you want Nanny to look after your poor choices in the future, then she's entitled to try to financially curtail your choices

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It's all everyones fault. The government for doing it and ours for putting up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

I think it's an under-the-top, over-the-bra nanny state

*grope*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Maybe the government sees it as a better option than massive healthcare bills for lung cancer and obesity related illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Its getting worse year by year. People need to cop on and stop relying on the Government to help them fight their addiction to chocolate, tobacco ..etc.. do it yourself like so many others have done. slapping a tax on these items will not help anybody at all ...except for Enda's pocket so he can buy Merkel a nice Christmas pressie:rolleyes:

Why should the rest of us be punished because others can't control their habits ? Yes there is a massive health care bill but maybe education is the way not more taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Why should the rest of us be punished because others can't control their habits ? Yes there is a massive health care bill but maybe education is the way not more taxes.

I'd prefer to price people out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

no we are a nation of noddys. tax on sugar, (insert patronizing idiotic reason), sure that sounds grand.

Id be in favor of increasing price of these items if there was a tax reduction for the healthy alternatives. Because some of the healthy alternatives are are priced to high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Maybe the government sees it as a better option than massive healthcare bills for lung cancer and obesity related illnesses.

Smokers have well and truly paid their care through taxes on smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

it's always been an over the top nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Rodin wrote: »
    Never going to happen. if I want 100kg of Benson and Hedges, I can have them delivered in ten minutes. I happen to smoke a brand that is not one that is available anywhere else, so I buy them in my local shop. If it goes up to €30 a packet, I'll have one hanging out of my gob:) Also, tax alcohol as much as ye like, if I want a bottle of wine, I'll get one. You can't stop stubborn dummies like me with price rises:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Fatty food =/= fatty arses

They are going the wrong way around it as well. If the general health of the people is a problem that the state want to act on, they'll be providing incentives to motivate people towards a healthy lifestyle. Forcing them to budget their food based on tax, does not do that.

As it is, every year they push up taxes on ciggarettes, alcohol and fuel. We should be the fittiest fúcking fiddles on the planet, if those were all due to the health of the people. They boost taxes to make up for money they are short of, only to boost more taxes time and time again because they keep coming up short.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Rodin wrote: »
    it can only work for so long before it fails, smoking is a perfect example, it might have made some give up but if we price everyone off of them we'l lose a hell of a lot of money.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Ireland is an 'over the top Nanny State' just based on the number of people who rely solely on the government to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Have you seen the state of our current and previous ministers for health?

Gary Glitter running a playgroup comes to mind.

Advertisement