Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to NZ with husband Visa Query

Options
  • 30-11-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    My Husband and I got married last week having been together for five and a half years. He has just got a job offer so now we need to go through the visa process. Although we have been together a long time we have never lived together as he has been in college in the west of ireland and I have been working in Dublin. will this have an impact on moving to NZ together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Quite possibly, yes.

Your marital status is absolutely irrelevant and your marriage cert not worth the paper it's written on, from NZ Immigration perspectives.

(Hmm, having types that, it's true in general. I don't know if there are any exceptions for spouses getting in 'cos their partner got a job offer, it's possible that there may be).

Are you young enough to qualify for a WHV? It could be a good deal simpler to start on that, and then try for a visa on your couple-status after a that when you actually have some proof that you're a real couple not a marriage-of-convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Have you any proof that you have been together 5 years? Photos together from years gone by? Any bookings together over the years? Holidays and that? They need to see proof that you are actually together and, as Mrs OBumble says, its not a marriage of convience.
    The WHV option is a good idea. Get your foot in the door.
    Otherwise you probably need to look up a defacto visa if you want to go the couple route. See what the requirements are.

Advertisement