Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security cameras 3g output

Options
  • 30-11-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

At a business premises the Eircom cables in the manhole have been cut 3 times in 7 years, I would like to upgrade the camera system (up to 8 cameras) to an IP arrangement where I can view over the net from home or from my phone. Because of the future potential of the cables been cut again I would like to be able to use 3g to do this. I have seen a G3 broadband router for sale "Edimax 3G-6200N" would this or something similar work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, that router works with a 3G dongle, but are you sure the 3G network is up to the job? Besides the bandwidth you require, you may also have a problem connecting because of the way some mobile ISP's reuse IP addresses, each dongle doesn't get a unique public IP address, it's usually a big local network (natted)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

Hi you would be best upgrading your broadband to a wireless platform instead of 3G if you are intending on running multiple IP high res cameras. Talk to host Ireland they offer a great 12.5 Mbps link for a good price and reliable which is paramount. If you are looking for a good IP system I saw a fantastic unit in my wholesalers the other day from lilin the NVR touch super unit and well priced. Lilin.co.uk worth looking at.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

We used 3G in work on the new CCTV system until the ADSL line was installed.
    Thinks to watch out for are;

1. Signal quality were you are going to mount your 3G router.

2. Bandwidth cap on your 3G connection { also the cost per mb if you go over.}

3. Are you constantly streaming to a monitoring centre 24/7 or only on an alert.

4. Can you provider give you a static IP? { We had to use a private APN }.

5. 3G can be blocked just as easy as any other radio signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

rugrat69 wrote: »
    Hi you would be best upgrading your broadband to a wireless platform instead of 3G if you are intending on running multiple IP high res cameras. Talk to host Ireland they offer a great 12.5 Mbps link for a good price and reliable which is paramount. If you are looking for a good IP system I saw a fantastic unit in my wholesalers the other day from lilin the NVR touch super unit and well priced. Lilin.co.uk worth looking at.

Hope that helps
    Looked at Host Ireland site, unfortunately I am not within their coverage area. Nice system from Lilin - just remembered where I saw that name before, anyone visiting Howth, over the last few years, could not have missed a large black motor home permanently parked on the quay with a large Lilin graphic.

Advertisement