Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lenght of westwood clontarft swimming pool?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

Has anybody ever meassured the lenght of the Westwood pool in clontarf ?
    I know its not exactly 50m but nobody can really tell me whats the real distance and before i bring the meassure tape next week, I wonder if anybody has done so and knows the exact length.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I always thought that it was a 50m pool. Out of curiosity, why do you think that it isn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

It is definitely not exactly 50 m as they did not want it to be a competiton pool. Too be honest I am not really too concerend as it is a great pool but I just wanted to know as it is like some say 49.5m
    and others say 49.98. m.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    Has anybody ever meassured the lenght of the Westwood pool in clontarf ?
    I know its not exactly 50m but nobody can really tell me whats the real distance and before i bring the meassure tape next week, I wonder if anybody has done so and knows the exact length.

Cheers

Its lets than half a metre short. I used my Garmin 910xt and turned on GPS and that came back with 49.6667m for a length.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

It is definitely not exactly 50 m as they did not want it to be a competiton pool. [...]

:confused: That's strange. Is that for tax purposes or something?

tunney wrote: »
    Its lets than half a metre short. I used my Garmin 910xt and turned on GPS and that came back with 49.6667m for a length.

I am impressed by the accuracy of a fogged up 910 ;-)

• Advertisement

Oink wrote: »

It was intended to be a private members pool. If it was a competition pool there would have been undue pressure to open it up for competition.

Anyways its far far too shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Could it not be 50m long and still not be a competition pool tho?

Are there not a host of requirements like width, depth etc.. that all need to be met?

Oink wrote: »
    I think they were worried to be obliged to hold competitons in the pool and they did not want that.
    But I am not the right person to ask.
    like a power meter every 50 m pool is a bit different anyway with depht , how the walls are built, the lane ropes placed affecting the pace
    and how many are in the pool than makes it different again

I would be interested how many 25 meter pools in ireland are 25 m long since the irish are more flexible than lets say the swiss ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

This the ESB pool?

The ESB pool was the first almost 50m pool in the country AFAIK and they deliberately built it short so it could never be appropriated as a competition pool, allegedly.

Typical small mindedness :(

• Advertisement

This the ESB pool?

The ESB pool was the first almost 50m pool in the country AFAIK and they deliberately built it short so it could never be appropriated as a competition pool, allegedly.

Typical small mindedness :(

or you could say they were the first ones to think big in Ireland
    and think about a 50 m pool ;-)

you mix the pools up btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

or you could say they were the first ones to think big in Ireland
    and think about a 50 m pool ;-)

Yip, they thought about it and went 'Feck that! We're not letting anyone else pee in our pool!'

and then they rented it out to everyone and anyone and lost members.

Yip, they thought about it and went 'Feck that! We're not letting anyone else pee in our pool!'

Having talked to another pool I understand why they did not want to deal with a certain entity.

Advertisement