Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft CALs - user v.s device

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

We are updating our sbs server and need to purchase client access licenses to correspond with the new version.
    Our IT service provider has told me that the CALs are increasing in price by 15% next Monday so I need to put through the order today.
    I am confused about whether I should purchase device CALs or user CALs.
    There are a total of 33 users in the organisation.
    We work shift work so the total number of PC and laptop devices is 18. 6 of the users of these laptops would also access email on the server using mobile phones and 3 of them also use tablet devices. So should I count that as 18+6+3 devices?
    I'm finding it difficult to get a definitive answer to my question from service provider so if anyone here can throw some light on it I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Probably too late but...
    So should I count that as 18+6+3 devices?
    Yes.

For most server products, Microsoft's CAL guides say that it is possible, but not recommended to have a mix of User and Device CALS applied to your network, provided that these are recorded as assigned and not reassigned within less than 90 days.

The old SBS 2003 required you to choose one or another at install time but the 2011 version doesn't.

I.e.
    12 device CALS + 6 user cals (covering laptop + mobile + tablet use by these assuming the laptops are used by a single user).

You're also meant to license devices accessing via the web connector.

Google SBS 2011 Licensing FAQ
    page 8 of the pdf
    Q. How many users can use the SBS 2011 Standard software?
    A. An SBS 2011 CAL Suite is required to access SBS 2011 Standard. You may any combination of user or
    device CALs (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx) up to a
    maximum of 75 CALs.

Advertisement