Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympia Theatre

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to let people know that if youre a wheelchair user attending a gig in the Olympia that is standing only downstairs you dont have to pay to get in anymore. They do have 2 cherrypickers at the back which allow you to elevate yourself up to see over peoples heads. Its first come first served, but you might be advised to contact the Olympia BO in advance if you can. Otherwise you'll have to go in the pit (and I wouldnt recommend that to anyone ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

That sounds very adventurous all together. Are the cherry-pickers manned all the time, so that you can get down if you need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

It's manually operated by the user. There's a button you press yourself, In the past they have had to use a key to turn it on and then taken the key out when you reach the desired height but they seem to have changed the model because when I used it last Thursday no key was needed. cherry picker probably isn't their official term. its like a perspex box that goes straight up and down. Very safe IMO and much more preferable and advisable than going into the pit. There are only two so it is on a first come first served basis. It is advisable to inform the olympia box office in advance to be certain of using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks for the clarification - sounds very interesting. I hope they've updated their evacuation plan to take account of this new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification - sounds very interesting. I hope they've updated their evacuation plan to take account of this new equipment.

They've also got accessible WC's now too, which is not before time.

Wheelchairs enter and exit the building by the exit nearest the bar at the back, down the laneway which brings you to Brogans Bar on Dame Street

• Advertisement

marwelie wrote: »
    Wheelchairs enter and exit the building by the exit nearest the bar at the back, down the laneway which brings you to Brogans Bar on Dame Street

This has always been the case, as far as I know??

This has always been the case, as far as I know??

When I first started going to the Olympia I used to enter the building on the same side as the Stage Door, beside Charlies (the fast food chinese restaurant)

marwelie wrote: »
    When I first started going to the Olympia I used to enter the building on the same side as the Stage Door, beside Charlies (the fast food chinese restaurant)

I think that's what I meant lol???? You have to go down an alleyway, and you come to a set of double doors, which one of the doormen will open for you, you then go up a long(ish) corridor until you reach the stalls in the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Regina Filange

Ok I'm confused. Recently bought tickets to a gig in the Olympia and was told the by guy in the box office that the best place to go was in the pit! First time there so panicking now :(

Ok I'm confused. Recently bought tickets to a gig in the Olympia and was told the by guy in the box office that the best place to go was in the pit! First time there so panicking now :(

The pit is right up the front, in front of the barrier, but IMO I'd avoid it if you want to be comfortable. Remember if someone has to be taken out of the crowd they'll be coming your way. Its a personal choice but if the cherry picker is available I'd definitely recommend using it.

The ushers will suggest the pit but I did it once and I wouldn't do it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement