Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what PRN stands for?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,
    A friend of mine purchased some military medals (he is a collector) but he is not sure what PRN stands for? It is engraved on the medal. If anyone could help he would be grateful.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

What country and what was the medal for? That might help with identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Are you sure its not PNR?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭G&T22

@bluecode Sorry I don't know the country I will ask him when I see him and come back to you.

@enfield He told me it was PRN but maybe he got confused he is elderly? He said the P usually stands for Private but its the RN that he is not sure of he said he thought it could be Royal Navy?

Sorry I don't have much info.

Ask him to have another look and just check. Does it say PNR, R.E.?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The only reference I can find is to Pnr - Pioneer.

Are we looking at a WW1 medal here? In any case, medals usually have the details of the recipient around the edge, at least all mine do.

The abbreviation for Private is Pte.

tac

• Advertisement

Thanks for you help everyone, will find out more and come back.

Ok so its WW1 and it is indeed as suggested PNR and then the name of the man who won them. SORRY!

PNR stand for PIONEER.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Thank you Tom!

Advertisement