Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truk Lagoon - Trip of a lifetime.

Options
  • 30-11-2012 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

In October 2013, a bunch of friends and I are heading to Truk Lagoon. It will take about 2 days to get there, and 2 days to get back. We're doing 7 days liveaboard. Given the amount of travel involved, we're considering making the most of it and doing a few days (maybe 5) at a resort there too.

It will not be a cheap trip. We're probably talking €4-5k each. However, there's still quite a few months left in which to pay for it.

Thus far, we've filled about half the 22 places* on the liveaboard. Now, we may end up with a bunch of strangers taking up the other spots. Or maybe a couple of fours or couples or something. Or maybe, just maybe, there's some other Irish divers that would like to join such a trip.

Interested? Let me know.

(Qualified, experienced divers only, please! Thanks.)

* If a single group fills the boat, there are discounts involved. I think it's in the region of 1 free place in 12, or two free places if we fill the boat. Any such discounts achieved will be split amongst the whole group.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Well worth the trip!
    Been nine years since I did it. What boat you on?

Don't know if you have package booked yet but I saved a good deal by waiting to see which direction was best. Because of dollar being weak back then I went westwards. Had previously gone east to Palau in '96

I split the booking so as to have a stopover in LA and Honolulu, diving both. Instead of having the extra five days at Blue Lagoon - which IMO would be a bit of a come-down after a week's liveaboard - you may be better served using these days as an opportunity to dive elsewhere, eg Hawaii going west/Philippines going east. Best bang for buck.

In October water temps will be 30degs.

As far as "Trip of a Lifetime" is concerned, that one would be up there with the best. You should get Dan Bailey's book "Wrecks of the Truk Lagoon" and/or Klaus Lindemann's " Hailstorm over Truk Lagoon" as research for your group before you go. Well worth reading.
    Try betterworldbooks.com, bookdepository.co.uk, or bookdonors.com

All have free shipping.

FYI we did total of 15 wrecks plus one shark-feed dive on Pizion Reef, South Pass in our week. Three night dives, 24 dives in all. Was aboard the Odyssey.

You're gonna love it!!

Seadeuce

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

In October 2013, a bunch of friends and I are heading to Truk Lagoon. It will take about 2 days to get there, and 2 days to get back. We're doing 7 days liveaboard. Given the amount of travel involved, we're considering making the most of it and doing a few days (maybe 5) at a resort there too.

It will not be a cheap trip. We're probably talking €4-5k each. However, there's still quite a few months left in which to pay for it.

Thus far, we've filled about half the 22 places* on the liveaboard. Now, we may end up with a bunch of strangers taking up the other spots. Or maybe a couple of fours or couples or something. Or maybe, just maybe, there's some other Irish divers that would like to join such a trip.

Interested? Let me know.

(Qualified, experienced divers only, please! Thanks.)

* If a single group fills the boat, there are discounts involved. I think it's in the region of 1 free place in 12, or two free places if we fill the boat. Any such discounts achieved will be split amongst the whole group.

OP sounds like a super trip, I 'casually' dropped it into conversation with the Missus(even made sure she had a little Vino on board), but her reply is unprintable-suffice to say that it contained the word castration:D....so sorry can't go. p.s. dont forget to upload the photos!

Benny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kieran casey

Class was goin to go their but decided on South Africa I leave on the 6 of January to do he shark diving can't wait I've a gopro so goin to film it all il post it when finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kieran casey

Il keep an I eye this by the way never know might end up going with ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

seadeuce wrote: »
    Been nine years since I did it. What boat you on?

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but the day before yesterday I finally finished paying for this trip!

Away in about 6 weeks.

We're on board the SS Thorfinn. Has room for 22 guests, but there's actually only 9 of us. I don't know if the rest of the boat will be filled with another group or groups yet.

However, if anyone has a couple of grand to spare and some holiday time to take, drop me a PM!

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is curious:

Flights Dublin - Manila return : €654
    Flights Manila - Truk return : €782
    Departure Tax : US$20 = €15
    Dive Permit : US$35 = €26
    Everything else (Hotel in Manila, Hotel in Truk, 7 nights liveaboard) : US$2,695 = €2,039

Total : €3,516.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gav104

I'm extremely jealous.

I was going to do this a few years ago but I picked Sipadan instead.

When I looked ,it was much more expensive than the prices you're quoting and I was already in the Philippines.

Some guests of mine told me they were there a few years back.Sounded amazing.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Enjoy lads, will make it there myself someday. Have a read of Peter McCamley's trip report from 2012 here to wet the appetite:

http://forum.technicaldiving.ie/index.php/topic,3896.msg24449.html#msg24449

Catmologen wrote: »
    Enjoy lads, will make it there myself someday. Have a read of Peter McCamley's trip report from 2012 here to wet the appetite:

http://forum.technicaldiving.ie/index.php/topic,3896.msg24449.html#msg24449

Thanks, Cat.

I know the intention was good, but that link seems to refer to Bikini Atoll, not Truk Lagoon. (There's only 4,700km between them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Thanks, Cat.

I know the intention was good, but that link seems to refer to Bikini Atoll, not Truk Lagoon. (There's only 4,700km between them!!)

:) damn my ignorance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement