Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father of same name agrees new contract over the phone

Options
  • 30-11-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey.

So I'm hoping someone can help me out with a solution to my problem.

I took over responsibilities for Eircom a few years back when my father retired. We had been with eircom for years. Everything was going fine until a few month back when our Internet usage took increased so much that we were exceeding our Eircom limits & we were getting charged extra.
    This was when I decided to consolidate our TV,broadband & phone bills so I decided to switch to PC. This was fine until I was informed that we were getting a huge fine for contract cancellation fee! As it turned out my retired father rang up to complain & ended up agreeing to a new contract. Mi not sure how he was able to do this but we both share the same name & he had access to a bill.
    Im not sure he should have been in a position to agree to a new contract, but as I said we both share the same name, but ahving signed up to getting all my bill to my contact email address I never received an email about this 'new' contract, obviously I would have seen out the contract before moving on and not have accepted a €500 bill.

Does anyone know is there any way I can appeal under these circumstances? It feels like a tough pill to swallow seeing as my retired father was able to agree a contract without knowing all the account details

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Contract extension calls must be recorded. It won't be your voice so...and that is the getout.

Ask for the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Contract extension calls must be recorded. It won't be your voice so...and that is the getout.

Ask for the recording.

even though he took over the account of his father, he still accepted the T and C's of the contract over the phone. calls are recorded, however the agent isnt to know who is the account holder and who isnt. Im sure if the call was replayed, the father prob unintenially said that he was the account holder and they have the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know they ask for the callers name ....... and the account number IIRC ...... but do they actually ask if the caller IS the account holder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Isn't there a thing going about lately showing that ISP's and other service providers usually add VAT to the cancellation fee but it's not allowed. They can't remove the vat and just charge the fee - vat so they end up having to cancel the termination charge as a result. They are not pocketing the vat they charge but I think under law they are not allowed to charge vat on a cancellation fee as they are technically not providing a service so not vat is liable to be paid where a service is not supplied.

I will have a search for the relevant thread as it was on here I saw it.

EDIT: here's the link to the thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79989473

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi d_dools

Would you like to PM me your account details/number so i can look into this for you?

Regards

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement