Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Social Charge and Medical card holders

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

My sister is starting a new job as a receptionist. She has a medical card. I think she will pay a maximum USC at 4% (and not 7%). Who should she be providing proof of her medical card to, her employer's payroll section or the Revenue Commissioners?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I imagine the revenue

See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

Has to be a full medical card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Stheno wrote: »
    I imagine the revenue

See http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

Has to be a full medical card.

Thanks for that. Yes it's a full medical card. She was unemployed for over a year. So she was surprised when I mentioned it. I had read it somewhere before. She won't be on a huge salary, so every extra euro she can keep will help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yes it's a full medical card. She was unemployed for over a year. So she was surprised when I mentioned it. I had read it somewhere before. She won't be on a huge salary, so every extra euro she can keep will help.

She should be fine until the end of this tax year, but a review may mean the card will be taken off her next year, and she'll owe USC

Stheno wrote: »

She should be fine until the end of this tax year, but a review may mean the card will be taken off her next year, and she'll owe USC

I thought people on benefits who start a job are allowed a medical card for 3 years. But as you say that might change in the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

If she was unemployed for over a year she can put in a claim for Revenue Job Assist. It provides her with extra tax credits and allows her to keep her medical card 3 years from the date of employment. Her employer can also claim significantly reduced rates of employer PRSI, making her cheaper to employ:). Not many people or employers know of this scheme.... it should make her popular with them when she starts there.

Employee information pack and application

Employer information pack

More info here

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »

If she was unemployed for over a year she can put in a claim for Revenue Job Assist. It provides her with extra tax credits and allows her to keep her medical card 3 years from the date of employment. Her employer can also claim significantly reduced rates of employer PRSI, making her cheaper to employ:). Not many people or employers know of this scheme.... it should make her popular with them when she starts there.

Employee information pack and application

Employer information pack

More info [URL="http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/revenue_job_assist.html"]here[/URL]

Thanks. Had never heard of it. She will be pleased.

Thanks. Had never heard of it. She will be pleased.

Do it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Your welcome, I got it last year....simple process. The extra tax credits and keeping the medical card really help. Also if she has kids FIS might be of benefit to her

Advertisement